Urgent: Seeking Assistance for Property Damage and Excessive Water Bill Issue with Airbnb Guest

Fernando1561
Level 5
Sarasota, FL

Urgent: Seeking Assistance for Property Damage and Excessive Water Bill Issue with Airbnb Guest

The guest and their group caused damage to the toilet, resulting in a leak during their 9-day stay that led to a $700 water bill, whereas the usual cost is $100. A claim was filed with Airbnb's claims center, but they stated that they do NOT cover utilities. Another claim was filed for property damage due to the toilet issue, but Airbnb rejected it as it exceeded the 14-day window.

We also reached out to the guest, who acknowledged the damage but showed indifference. Multiple attempts were made to communicate with the guest during their stay, inquiring about their comfort and needs, but received no response. We have video evidence , pictures from the guest's check-out day, confirming the damage. Water bills substantiate excessive consumption during their 9-day stay.

The reality is that I can't afford this hefty bill. I'm renting out the property, and this damage was caused by the guest's irresponsibility. I feel that Airbnb hasn't treated me fairly. Is there anyone here who can assist me?

Any donation to cover this excessive bill is welcome ** (my friend idea)

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Please note it is not allowed to solicit services or donations as per Community Center Guidelines ]

City 1.jpeg

** Image containing sensitive and personal information removed - Community Center Guidelines]

City3.jpeg

#AirbnbClaims #PropertyDamage #GuestResponsibility #WaterBill  #UnresponsiveGuest #IrresponsibleGuests #DamageDispute #UtilityCoverage #GuestCommunication #FairTreatmentNeeded #PropertyRentalIssues #HelpNeeded #AssistanceRequired 

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Fernando1561 

Sorry to hear that you've been through this.

Have you been in touch with Airbnb Support since you posted this, and if so, what was the outcome?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

The outcome was even worse than the problem itself. They state that Aircover insurance does not cover utility bills, and for filing a claim regarding the toilet damage, it should have been done within 14 days. They directed me to speak with the guest, who admitted knowledge of the damage but overlooked the leak since the toilet was functioning properly. It's disheartening to witness Airbnb agents operate like robots, showing no concern for addressing issues like these that genuinely require assistance. Instead, they simply copy and paste to what the rules dictate, and that's all.

attached the 2 responses from the insurance Aicover denying the claim: **

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that it is not allowed to share Airbnb investigation and private email conversations]