Wasting hot water.

Answered!
Heidi50
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

Wasting hot water.

I am in the position of reviewing a guest who returned late- 5 am- and, I thought took a shower. When the hot water had run about half and hour I had to go to her door, knocked, and then opened to find her asleep in bed and the sink hot tap full on. I turned off then left. 

In the morning I mentioned this to her and she responded that she wasn’t disturbed by my entry! No apology .

I’m interested in other’s responses to this ‘error’ of hers???

1 Best Answer

@Heidi50  Fair warning: Airbnb has suspended some hosts' accounts when guests complained that the host entered the private space without notice. Of course it was justified in this case - wastage aside, you might have prevented a flood. But it's risky to write a review that would trigger this specific complaint. 

What probably happened was that the guest came home tipsy from a long night out and was halfway through cleaning herself up when she conked out. Careless yes, but almost certainly not intentional. I suggest writing a bland review of your overall experience with the guest and not mentioning this specific, embarrassing incident publicly. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

It’s unbelievable how clueless and entitled some people are. However, I actually thought you were going to say she had a conniption about you entering her room. Thank goodness the sink didn’t overflow. Your water bill will be slightly higher though. 

If everything else was good, I’d just say, “guest left hot water running unattended in bathroom, which if I had not of taken action, could have caused major damage to my home.” For this reason, I am giving 3 stars. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Heidi50  Just say something like ' We prefer our guests to be aware of both energy and water use' . honestly Heidi she may simply have passed out and been unaware . It would be a strange thing to do otherwise. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 wrote:

It would be a strange thing to do otherwise. H

I am not sure. I have had many guests leave bathroom basin taps on. Okay, maybe not full blast, but on rather than just dripping. I currently have a guest who does this every few days or so before she leaves for work for the day. If I did not work from home and left earlier than her, it would be on all day.

Guests do this sort of stuff, just like they leave the bathroom lights on or lights on in their room and then go out for the whole day and/or evening or leave the fridge door open. People are often careless when they are not the ones paying the bills.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Huma0 I know people can simply be unaware but where are these people being made , a zombie factory?H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

I wish I knew...

I have a theory that people do a lot of things on autopilot when they are home, such as closing the front door, but that autopilot malfunctions when they are in an unfamiliar setting. Or it might just be 'holiday brain'.

On the other hand, I don't believe that I do these things when I am staying elsewhere, so maybe some people are just careless at home.

I have noticed that it's usually men who leave bathroom lights on. I don't mean every male guest, but I'd say at least half of them, if not more, do this, whereas it's very rare with female guests (both genders are guilty of leaving bedroom or other lights on though).

Whenever I've been hosting a couple and have jokingly mentioned this, the girlfriend/wife almost always exclaims, "Yes! He does that at home ALL the time!"

@Heidi50  Fair warning: Airbnb has suspended some hosts' accounts when guests complained that the host entered the private space without notice. Of course it was justified in this case - wastage aside, you might have prevented a flood. But it's risky to write a review that would trigger this specific complaint. 

What probably happened was that the guest came home tipsy from a long night out and was halfway through cleaning herself up when she conked out. Careless yes, but almost certainly not intentional. I suggest writing a bland review of your overall experience with the guest and not mentioning this specific, embarrassing incident publicly. 

Heidi50
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

Thank you all, How useful to reach out to others in the network who understand. H