We can see star ratings of guests!?

Answered!
Alexandre205
Level 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

We can see star ratings of guests!?

Has anybody noticed this also? We can see the star ratings of booked guests now!

In the Messages window, under "About this guest" in the left column, I can see the Overall rating of each of my guests (past, present and future). And when I click, the detailed ratings appear (Cleanliness, Communication, Observance of House Rules). Surprisingly (unsurprisingly), some always reviewed as clean, easy, respectful ... don't have 5* everywhere.

Maybe the game will be fairer now, although there could be more categories. Some guests will think twice before misbehaving ...

1 Best Answer
Caroline443
Level 4
Braunston, United Kingdom

It looks as though you can only get access to the star ratings of your guests if you agree to do instant book.  This doesnt seem right!

I have hosted over 88 different trips since January and am fully booked most of the time. I do not use instant book as past experience has shown me that you can at times prevent problems if you can communicate with people before they book (e.g when they want to bring pets) . People's messages can also be quite revealing and there are times when it makes sense to decline their request (e.g a hen night).      As a very active (super) host I feel quite strongly that I should be able to see the guests' ratings, especially as they can see mine as a host!

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

so, yes, this is only for IB reservations, and it doesn't exist until a reservation is confirmed, but perhaps gives some better info for a host to cancel because they are "uncomfortable". Really unfortunate that non-IB hosts have this info withheld. But also maybe gives all hosts more reason to accurately review ALL guests.

One question tho... is it only confirmed hosts that can see these stars?? Will guests be able to see their own stars??

Alexandre205
Level 9

Actually, I think it's for all confirmed reservations, IB or not.

We have a reservation in a few months, which was made after inquiry, and likewise, we can see the ratings of the guest now (but not at the time of the booking).

And that's a pretty interesting case.

Cleanliness: Not available (weird)

Communication: Not available (weird)

Observance of House Rules: 3*

so Overall rating is 3*

There is nothing negative in the comments written by the host.

Based on the communication I had with the guest, long before seeing her ratings, I have a favorable opinion about her.

She clearly studied our listing, she will pay quite a high price to stay in our place.

Until now, my intuition on guests based on communication has always been correct.

So what can I infer from this case:

- There are probably many hosts who never write negative things but give bad ratings to guests (not honest).

- Non-IB booking doesn't necessarily preserve from bad guests (if she turns out to be a bad guest, which I don't foresee).

Will guests be able to see their own stars? At least, they don't appear in the public profiles.

I don't see my ratings as a guest from my previous trips, so I would say no ...

A short message to the few grumpy hosts, who complain because they don't use IB.

This is a collaborative help forum. If you aren't interested in threads and posts, you don't need to get involved to say that you aren't interested. Instead of criticizing, keep quiet, because there are other people actually interested.

Unfortunately this is a street that runs two ways. Whereas I appreciate seeing the star rating of a guest, it could create more problems than it solves.

The star rating for a guest should be looked at as merely a single tool in the bag for a host—as it is for a guest to choose a host. The outcry from the hosting community has indeed been answered by getting those star ratings published, but just like many of you have complained of unfair treatment and guests being overly critical, lowering your star ratings… Hosts whose unusually high levels of expectations for their guests, comparing and judging their personal standards against a guests attitude and behavior, may find themselves creating scenerios where a guest is judged and rejected by other hosts, simply by a star rating glance—Just as you don’t want to be judged by unfair assessments by overly picky guests who award low stars for aspects of a stay,—the same holds true for guests with the new rating system. The conclusion is, now more than ever, hosts should consider relaxing a bit, tempering our reviews lest we start cannibalizing our client base.

@Alexandre205 I don’t think it’s not so much dishonesty as it is that we have been conditioned to believe those star rating were internal use only until yesterday. I have heard  hosts frustration when they get rave written reviews, but the stars are less than 5 in the categories — that disparity creates confusion for hosts— Does that constitute dishonesty on the guests part? 

Alexandre205
Level 9

Difficult to compare. Most of the time, that frustration emanates from bad, nasty or unexperienced guests.

I have never seen a perfect guest (from his/her behaviour) not recognizing the value of what he/she pays for.

Some guests feel important by penalizing hosts behind an innocent good review. They're difficult to detect, but they usually book very fast and don't care much about the details, and at first the hosts they're dealing with. They don't see the value, they just look for things to complain about. Odious.

One of worst souvenirs is a guest who gave us 4* in 4 categories. That was unprecedented, and yes, nasty and dishonest.

It's different for hosts. We know the system by heart, with a bit of experience.

You can write good comments, hide the minuses and give a 4* in one category, that's ok.

But when you obviously give 3* or less everywhere, and don't write anything negative, that's not honest either.

We thought that the ratings would never appear, ok, but if you think very badly about a guest and don't warn others against him/her in your comments, that's not honest.

The other thing that is different about these guest star ratings is that the Overall rating shown is an average of the cleanliness, communication & house rules stars. For hosts, the overall rating is a separate category from the others

I am new to Airbnb Host and single.   I'm concerned that just anyone can come and stay in my home where I live.  To feel more safe, can you tell me a 'work around' how i can check out my guest before I accept them?

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

This is fascinating - thanks for sharing!

Thank you, @Valerie!!

Caroline443
Level 4

It looks as though you can only get access to the star ratings of your guests if you agree to do instant book.  This doesnt seem right!

I have hosted over 88 different trips since January and am fully booked most of the time. I do not use instant book as past experience has shown me that you can at times prevent problems if you can communicate with people before they book (e.g when they want to bring pets) . People's messages can also be quite revealing and there are times when it makes sense to decline their request (e.g a hen night).      As a very active (super) host I feel quite strongly that I should be able to see the guests' ratings, especially as they can see mine as a host!

Caroline443
Level 4

I just noticed - guests star ratings are really only avalable to instant book hosts!

Come on Airbnb - you need to look after your hosts as well as your guests!  You have pushed the market on price (as low as possible for guests, until it is almost not viable) and you have pushed hosts to raise the bar with lots of extras for guests (e.g breakfast baskets, fresh fruit etc even when the guests are just renting a holiday let).   Many airbnb guests are expecting 5 star treatment for a 2 star price.  

Unless you start to consider the hosts - you will loose them.  There comes a point where it will be more lucrative and easier to just let the property as a permanent let!

Unfortunately there is not a lot of rental agencies to go to. VRBO is nickel and diming their hosts and guests now so I am thinking of leaving them and Tripadvisors site is run by idiots. So I ask where is a good alternative?

With Cities and local agencies taxing the hell out of hosts, it seems our industry is doomed to be short lived.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Alexandre205 yes I noticed it today too. But there is no sense if guest's rating is not visible before booking. Imagine if guests couldn't see  host's ratings before booking it !?

Well, you can't compare. Guests pay you to stay in your place, so they need to know what they're buying.

There has to be some room for bad/good surprises in this business.

We host many first timers in Airbnb, and most of them are amazing guests.

If you discover worrisome ratings after a booking, you can either decide to cancel or prepare for the guest more adequately.

I think that in some cases, you might even ask the guests about problematic trips they had, to clarify things.

We're in such a case right now, indeed. We got a same day booking yesterday, so we weren't going to do a thorough investigation, but we saw that the guest's latest review was bad (comments), which damaged the ratings.

We were positively impressed by our exchanges with the guest, and the check-in was pleasant, so we will see!

My little finger tells me that we will rehabilitate her 🙂

I could not disagree with your post more.

If someone is a problem guest, all potenetial hosts should know this BEFORE the next host hosts them.

After you have booked someone is not the time to discover your guest has a 1 star rating for anything. This leads to bad mojo on both sides.

I am not in the business to rehabilitate anyone. Problems with guests or extra costa or clean up only lead to higher costs for future guests and no one wants that.

We are however in the business to give great guests a great getaway or vacation.