Weird link from alleged host

Answered!

Weird link from alleged host

Hi all, 

I received this link from a host, with them stating it is a private invitation to book.

How do i know if its real? The format is air.bnb-cgi

I also cant find the property on a normal search of the airbnb site. 

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Sankari0 

I think you are right to be suspicious - there is no dot on the real airbnb site so this looks like a scam.  Did you contact a host on airbnb for information and then they sent you this link?  If so, you can and should report this host to Airbnb - there is a function on his page that says "report host".  

Let us know but I think your instincts are good!  Always better to be safe than sorry

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Sankari0 

I think you are right to be suspicious - there is no dot on the real airbnb site so this looks like a scam.  Did you contact a host on airbnb for information and then they sent you this link?  If so, you can and should report this host to Airbnb - there is a function on his page that says "report host".  

Let us know but I think your instincts are good!  Always better to be safe than sorry

All the best

Joëlle

Thanks for the response Joelle. 

I can actually found the apartment on a verified facebook group advertising apartments for rent in rome. 

I have been emailing the landlord and she provided me with this link https://tinyurl.com/2zenjfmc to book the apartment and which leads to a site identical to airbnb. It even has a lock sign in the url bar. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sankari0 ,

Thank you for sharing the link. As @Joelle43 guided, this doesn't seem to be a legit website. The Airbnb website link is as follows: https://www.airbnb.ca/.

The link with airbnb-cgi extension is not a part of Airbnb and seems like a potential duplicate. We would always suggest booking your bookings through the Airbnb platform to be covered by Airbnb policies.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks a mil Bhumika

Hello again @Sankari0 and @Bhumika 

i clicked on the link you give and it says that the account has been suspended. Definitely not a legit Airbnb host link 

I really hope you find a lovely place to stay in Rome on the real Airbnb!

All the best 

Joëlle 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Yes @Joelle43 , same for me now, initially I was able to look at the listing through @Sankari0's link.

But after you mentioned and as I checked it again, seems it's gone or some security action might have taken place. 

And thank you so much for guiding the OP @Joelle43😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika 

OP?!

always glad to help😊

@Bhumika @Joelle43 SUCH A CLOSE CALL. Everything was so professionally done, you cannot believe it. I screenshot the comments here and emailed it to the alleged landlord. I suppose this is why the link disappeared.

Whew. Thanks for your kind help. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you want to book an Airbnb listing. The only way you should do this is by going directly to the Airbnb website @Sankari0 

Links from third party websites are always fradulent 

1. Double-check the source: Verify the credibility of the host who sent you the link. If it's someone you trust or have communicated with previously, it increases the likelihood of it being legitimate.

2. Examine the URL format: While the format "air.bnb-cgi" may appear unusual, it's worth noting that Airbnb occasionally uses unique URLs for specific campaigns or invitations. However, exercise caution and remain vigilant when accessing unfamiliar links.

3. Reach out to Airbnb support: Contact Airbnb's customer support directly to confirm the legitimacy of the invitation. They can verify if the link and the property exist within their system.

4. Conduct a thorough search: If you couldn't find the property through a normal search on the Airbnb website, it could mean the listing is either private or not yet published. Consider discussing this with the host or reaching out to Airbnb support for further clarification.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]**