What do I do to make sure guests are not noisy?

Katz0
Level 1
London, GB

What do I do to make sure guests are not noisy?

I am always totally clear with guest about the fact that my house is a terrace with thin walls - and that they have to be quiet after 10pm or the neighbours will be angry with me. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to stop using airbnb. Help please 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You only mention your quiet time in other things to note @Katz0 . You need to talk about noise issues up front in the main body of your listing and amend your house rules. You have nothing in them about no guests on the premises that haven't booked or paid, or that guests breaking rules around quiet time being asked to leave.

Nor do you seem to have CCTV.

I would say by adding in additional house rules and CCTV, reducing the number of guests you accept and carefully vetting your guests @Katz0  you will minimise the risk of noisy guests. Also confirm your house rules around noise when you sending your booking confirmation note.

You advertise your home for up to 8 but don't appear to have a dining table or living room seating space for those numbers. I would also not offer a blow up bed in the living room.  This is encouraging guests to use it as a crash pad for larger numbers.  I would look at hosting smaller numbers to minimise the risk of noise.

@Katz0 Based on your reviews from the past year, it seems that you might be allowing a larger number of people than is ideal for the space you're offering. I'd recommend taking the noise and neighbors into account with your maximum number of guests. The larger groups of people staying in your home have felt that your amenities were not adequate for a group of their size, so perhaps your home is better suited for 2 or 3 people even though you have enough beds for more.

As for the noise issues, it would be nice if people had a Mute button but hey, what can you do. Sometimes you have to do the dirty work of enforcing your House Rules. If a particular party is giving you a lot of trouble and refusing to obey your quiet hours, your only recourse is to terminate the booking and send them on their way.