What's an appropriate compensation for a guest?

Answered!
Nina1540
Level 1
Frederiksberg, Denmark

What's an appropriate compensation for a guest?

Hi all,

Our washing machine broke between two quest bookings and the quests who are staying in our house now, has no washing machine, technicians have been booked to fix the issue but cannot be there until the guests have left - I'd like to somehow compensate our guest for the inconvenience. Do you have suggestions for a compensation - decrease in payment? chocolate and wine? any ideas? Thanks, Nina

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Maybe 10% since it is not a show stopper whatsoever and is but a small part of your cool place. I am not a fan of instantly putting a price on an inconvenience, but of offering an unexpected treat in exchange.

Suggestion: every morning when you get up for the next month, go over your pictures and eliminate those that are unnecessary, repeats, inconsistent in brightness or are out of proper sequence. Start with the one that supposedly 'shows' a 3rd bed but shows a cluttered desk. It does take forever to get the photos to such a 'perfect' state, but is worth it specially to compliment a place so charming and comfy as yours.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Maybe 10% since it is not a show stopper whatsoever and is but a small part of your cool place. I am not a fan of instantly putting a price on an inconvenience, but of offering an unexpected treat in exchange.

Suggestion: every morning when you get up for the next month, go over your pictures and eliminate those that are unnecessary, repeats, inconsistent in brightness or are out of proper sequence. Start with the one that supposedly 'shows' a 3rd bed but shows a cluttered desk. It does take forever to get the photos to such a 'perfect' state, but is worth it specially to compliment a place so charming and comfy as yours.

Nina1540
Level 1
Frederiksberg, Denmark

Thanks - I think I'll go for a wee treat 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nina1540 have a chat with the guest. many don't actually use a washing machine whereas some book specifically to use it when on a longer trip.

Thanks - We have talked and they are very understanding, so I just wanted to be nice in return 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you offered to pay for them to have service washes at a local laundrette @Nina1540 

Nina1540
Level 1
Frederiksberg, Denmark

Yes, they say they'll do fine though, so I'll go for a treat 🙂

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

This has been a recent topic in my local host community. I took the liberty to sum up best practices our member hosts have shared when it comes to managing guest satisfaction amidst unexpected challenges. Here’s the list:

1. Transparent Communication is Key

The moment you become aware of a potential issue, communicate with your guests. Honesty is appreciated, and guests would rather hear about a problem directly from you than discover it themselves. Inform them of the issue, the expected duration, and any steps being taken to address it.

2. Offer Alternatives

While you might not be able to fix the internet immediately or instantly improve water pressure, consider providing alternative solutions. For example, if the internet is down, maybe you have a list of local cafes or co-working spaces that offer free Wi-Fi. Or if there's weak water pressure, perhaps you can offer access to another facility or shower in the interim.

3. Surprise and Delight

Consider surprising your guests with a gesture that goes beyond their expectations. This doesn't necessarily mean something expensive. Maybe you could offer them a free local delicacy, a small discount on their next stay, or even just a handwritten note expressing your apologies and gratitude for their understanding.

4. Be Empathetic and Responsive

Remember, most guests are understanding when they know you're genuinely concerned about their experience. Listen to their concerns, validate their feelings, and assure them that you're doing everything within your power to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

5. Establish a Contingency Plan

Even if you can't predict every challenge, having a backup plan can save a lot of stress. This might include having a portable Wi-Fi device, extra bottled water, or even an agreement with a neighboring host to help each other out during such situations.

6. Consider Refunds Judiciously

While refunds should be a last resort, they can sometimes be the right choice. If a guest has faced multiple inconveniences or a significant portion of their stay was affected, offering a partial or full refund can go a long way in preserving your reputation and showing goodwill.

7. Gather Feedback and Improve

Once the issue is resolved, and the guests have checked out, consider seeking feedback. Understand what went right, what went wrong, and how you could potentially avoid or better handle similar situations in the future.

8. Stay Updated and Educate Your Guests

If there are recurrent issues in your region like periodic water shortages or regular internet disruptions, keep yourself updated. This way, you can warn guests in advance and maybe even provide them with tips on how to manage during these times.

9. Collaboration Over Competition

Remember, you're not alone in this. Reach out to other hosts in your community. They might have faced similar challenges and could provide insights or resources that you hadn't considered.

10. Keep a Positive Attitude

Lastly, maintain a positive attitude. Challenges will arise, but it's your response to these challenges that truly defines the guest experience. Approach every issue with a problem-solving mindset and a genuine desire to make things right.

In conclusion, while unexpected challenges can be a test of a host's resilience and creativity, they can also be opportunities to showcase true hospitality. By communicating transparently, offering solutions, and going the extra mile, hosts can ensure that their guests leave with a positive impression, no matter the circumstances. Hope you find this helpful.