What's the most peculiar request a guest has made?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's the most peculiar request a guest has made?

Liv_0-1628853937407.png

Hey everyone,

One of the things I enjoy the most about the Community is being able to read funny anecdotes about your hosting experiences, and I know I’m not the only one.

Learning Hosting tips and tricks from other members is a huge help, but I’m sure knowing you’re not alone when dealing with odd situations can’t hurt either 😉

With that in mind, what was the most peculiar request you’ve received from a guest? How did you handle it? 👀

Thanks,

Liv

21 Replies 21
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 :

I don’t know what the proper response to “Is it haunted?”

Maybe, “Would you like it to be?”

If the answer is yes, you could provide “The Haunting Experience” for a modest additional charge, depending on the fright level they request.

Level One: A few spiders under the bed, muffled thumping noises during the night, perhaps a piercing scream at about 3:00 A.M.

Level Ten: Full Demonic Possession. Constant shrieking, blood dripping down the walls, levitation and projectile vomiting. ((Extra cleaning charges will be applied to the bill.)

I have the same problem regarding the possibility of wild animals in the vicinity.

The human population of this area is approximately two per square mile. One of them is me and the other is my wife.

Do you really think nothing else lives around here?

So when someone first asked me about bears, I assumed that they were hoping to see one, so I said yes.

Wrong. They left immediately because they didn’t “feel safe.”

I have lived here for more than 40 years and I’ve never yet had one knock on my door, ransack my garbage can, or eat my porridge.

They have enjoyed the same considerate behavior on my part.

I don’t want to meet them and they don’t want to meet me.

People are more likely to find a little house made of gingerbread in the forest than a bear. I guess I should warn them not to eat any of it if they do.

@Brian2036  Urban dwellers have romantic ideas, gleaned from photos, travel magazines, and the movies of the realities of rural or remote properties. They tend to be scared of unfamilar noises, mention of wildlife, a glimpse of an insect. In other words, they're wussies.

Funny how you never saw Elizabeth Taylor or Richard Burton in Night of the Iguana, set in Puerto Vallarta, major insect habitat, saying "OMG, we have to go inside, I'm getting bitten to s**t." 

I remember a post where the host received a panicked call from a young male guest who had just checked in, saying there were lots of bugs. She was bamboozled, as she had just cleaned the cabin before he arrived. As she lived right next door, she went over immediately to find him cowering in a corner, pointing a shaking finger at 2 tiny ladybugs on the windowsill. Although she assured him they were harmless, he cancelled and left. His review said the place was "full of bugs".

Some people should never leave home.

wow @Laura2592  bedroom color girl and haunted stay, Jesus! They proved the stupidity is endless 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 lol the haunted one still makes me laugh. For enough money I will dress up and make scary ghost noises. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I was thinking about telling people that they’re more likely to see Big Foot than a bear…

D22725D0-DC40-494C-8C0F-E8CBF0080493.jpeg

But then I figured that half of them would flee and the others would complain because they didn’t see one.

Alex208
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Guest said “Would it bother u if I burned some incense outside by the table ? I have crystals etc I want to clean”. I would have said yes and even joined this exciting new experience, but no open flames allowed! 😆

@Alex208  Incense isn't actually an open flame- it just smolders. I use a container of sand to put incense sticks in- if tthey burn all the way down, they just go out. Same with candles.

But of course guests can't always be trusted to do things safely.