What to do when guests lie about the number in their party?

Answered!
Randall0
Level 1
Vail, Colorado, United States

What to do when guests lie about the number in their party?

So my very first guest shows up with a party of six, rather than the agreed upon party of four. I have altered the reservation to reflect the additional guest fee. But what happens if he refuses to pay?

I sent an email this morning letting him know that I was aware that he "miscounted," but have heard nothing back.

Advice?

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Randall0,

Great to meet you, thanks for posting this topic. Just to introduce myself I am the Online Community Manager for the English speaking community here in the Center. In terms of your question, this is a subject area that comes up quite frequently within the CC. If you use the search bar at the top of every page in the Community Center you will see a number of different topic threads about extra guests, here is one thread that I thought you might find useful. 

Thanks. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Send the guest the charge for the additional people using the Resolution Request page. Airbnb can then get involved if they don't pay. I've had to do it a number of times and got paid everytime.

I've only been hosting for three months and have noticed that several people make an enquiry for ONE PERSON when in reality there are TWO PEOPLE.

I have spotted this each time when they refer to themself as "WE" in their correspondence.

When I politely ask, they generally don't confirm the booking.

I have one confirmed booking arriving tomorrow - a husband and wife. I double-checked there are two people, and he confirmed this. I asked him to please amend his booking from one person to two people, but he didn't respond.

Then I submitted a Reservation amendment, but he declined it!

YIKES!!!

I'm concerned about pressing the point because this guy and his wife might leave me Negative Feedback out of revenge?!

But at the same time, I don't like being taken advantage of.

It seems that Monica's advice to submit a Resolution Requst is the best approach here.

But I will definitely wait until after they have submitted their feedback before I iniate this.

Make sure you get confirmation from the guest in the thread saying there are more people. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Randall0,

Great to meet you, thanks for posting this topic. Just to introduce myself I am the Online Community Manager for the English speaking community here in the Center. In terms of your question, this is a subject area that comes up quite frequently within the CC. If you use the search bar at the top of every page in the Community Center you will see a number of different topic threads about extra guests, here is one thread that I thought you might find useful. 

Thanks. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hellen1
Level 2
Curaçao

I have had the same problem but only found out after the guest had checked out that there were actually 2 additional guests that had not paid for.  I would like to report the guest to Airbnb so that next time they will not take advantage of other hosts. Any thoughts?

Saúl0
Level 2
Lima District, Peru

I do not know how to adjust the price when I foudn out that there are more people in my apartment. The person says that he will adjust rate but I do not how to do it or tell him where or how to do it? Any ideas

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Saúl0

If you go into Airbnb's help section it will answer most of your questions.

To change the booking go into your booking confirmation and click on the CHANGE button you can then do things like change dates or change the number of people.

This then goes to the guest who has to click on the change to accept it.

Do this and send a message to the guest and let them know you need them to click on it within XXXX hours to ensure they can continue with their reservation as you are not covered by Airbnb if the number of guests staying are more than are indicated on the booking.

Saúl0
Level 2
Lima District, Peru

HI Helen, Thank you for your feedback. I was able to get back and adjut the difference and I assume I have to wait now if the guest accept it or decline it. The guest is already in the apartment.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest doesn't accept you will need to chase them. Your final sanction is that if they don't accept you could ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation.

Saúl0
Level 2
Lima District, Peru

I will see what happens, I will wait a few days. I want to think that all people in Airbnb want to keep a good honest status.

Saúl0
Level 2
Lima District, Peru

I will see what happens, I will wait a few days. I want to think that all people in Airbnb want to keep a good honest status.

Yannick130
Level 2
Sherbrooke, Canada

Too many travellers lie about the number of guests in order to avoid additional costs. What are your recommendations to counter this scheme (without having to travel to check it out)?