When to decline or wait and cancel a booking

Answered!
Caroline2324
Level 1
Nailsworth, United Kingdom

When to decline or wait and cancel a booking

Hi there.

Someone just asked to book with me in June and I have until lunchtime tomorrow to answer. However I won't be able to respond to her until after the 24 hours have expired because I have something else penciled in that weekend which is going to be confirmed later tomorrow evening after the 24 hour window (I thought I had blocked off the whole of June but strangely only that weekend was left available, I am not sure why). I am trying to weigh up damage limitation, is it better to accept her reservation and cancel if the June plans are confirmed tomorrow evening? Or to respond to her once I know tomorrow evening and leave her waiting beyond the 24 hour limit? I can't find an answer about this via the airbnb information but have a feeling I will incur a penalty either way. Can anyone shed any light please? Many thanks, Caroline
1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Caroline2324 best option is to ask her to cancel her request and re - request it tomorrow.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Caroline2324 best option is to ask her to cancel her request and re - request it tomorrow.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Yes, @Mike-And-Jane0 is(are?) correct that it would be preferable for the guest to withdraw the request, however you won’t incur a penalty by simply denying the request yourself,  with an apology and an explanation, and that you will let her know tomorrow if she can go ahead and rebook.

You aren’t immediately penalized for this, although if you deny too often, it could negatively affect your acceptance rate. I have denied requests a few times, and there doesn’t seem to have been any negative repercussions. However, after you have accepted a Request to Book, there are significant penalties if you then cancel.

Your case sounds like a one-off situation and the booking has not finalized, so you should be fine. It’s important in general, though, to make sure your calendar is up-to-date, and that guests are able to book what they see available. If you aren’t sure, block the dates until you are sure.