Why did Airbnb help the illegal host make false accusations against the guest

Qi21
Level 2
Worcester, MA

Why did Airbnb help the illegal host make false accusations against the guest

1. Paid $2900 to Airbnb, arrived at the place, and asked the apartment office for directions.
  2. The office will tell you your stay is ILLEGAL, and the Airbnb host will threaten you that you will be evicted.
  3. The Airbnb support team will tell you that according to the house rule, you are not allowed to ask the office for directions, and there’s no violation on the host side, although the host violated the Residential Tenancies Act(RTA)
  4. And without any reason, the Airbnb support team, the host will ask you again and again to buy the host a new bed.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

it is not damaged by the guestit is not damaged by the guest

17 Replies 17

Hi Bhumika,

I did some search online, the beds are from IKEA,

The new bed(the host asked my to pay): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-bed-frame-white-stain-90242113/ 

The original bed in the listing: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tarva-bed-frame-pine-90249949/

1. the host replaced the original one with a new one that the price is higher.
  2. from the IKEA website, the original one is USD$154, the new one is USD$254.

Why do I have to pay for the upgrade? Why the money you asked for, $255.90 is higher than the retail price?  

And just like other people said, "The bed doesn't look damaged at all". Not sure how your claim team makes the final decision.

Qi21
Level 2
Worcester, MA

The rental is illegal. In my original post, I posted the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) s.97[sub-letting] but those did not show here since "the Private conversation removed".IMG_4741.jpgresident-act 2.PNG

Qi21
Level 2
Worcester, MA

Update: I think the reply from Airbnb implied a good news for Airbnb hosts in Toronto.

The feedback from Airbnb: 

“As a neutral third-party we must make a fair decision…
**”

As a gust I have no way to know the conditions of the bed prior check in. So Airbnb has scheduled an automatic pay for the reimbursement.

This is really a good news for Airbnb host in Toronto, if the host wants more money to pay for their costs (upgrade the furniture or any other reason), requesting an reimbursement is a good way to try.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]