Why do I suddenly have no bookings?

Answered!
Marie70
Level 1
Singapore

Why do I suddenly have no bookings?

Hi! 

When we first put up our listing on Airbnb, there were a number of enquiries coming in everyday. But since the last 3-4 days, there's a sudden halt in enquiries.

I wonder if anyone encountered the same issue recently? Is it something wrong with my listing? 

Some enlightenment from other Hosts/Airbnb would be of great help!

Thank you  😊 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Denise710 @Marie70 @Helen19 @Helen427 

Girls, I am now of the opinion this is a glitch in the system and the reason it has not been fixed is because it is smasmodic, it is random and they can't track down where the error is! I don't know this but I suspect it!

I consistently average 10-12 reservations a month, have been doing so for the past 18 months. Even when my total views for the month were down to 320-360 I would still get at least 10 bookings. 

From the last week in March this year, through all of April and into May (Over 5 weeks)  I did not get one new booking....well that is not strictly true I did get 3 bookings as a result of pre-approvals I gave back in February. Apart from that absolutely nothing! At one stage my views page showed 1 new booking for past 30 days

I got onto CX and asked them to check on the status of my listing.....were they seeing something that I was not...or had my account been subject to internal treatment by Airbnb. She assured me all was good with my account and gave me a lot of stats....some that I was not even aware of and she said it must be just seasonal!

Within a day of making that call, all of a sudden the reservations are coming again. I have had 16 Airbnb bookings and 4 Stayz bookings in the past 30 days........

monthly bookings.png

Now at that point, my reaction was CX probably did a bit of resetting and got the booking ship upright again.

But I did have an interesting enquiry though. The guest said he had tried 3 or 4 times to book my listing in that drought period and he could not get past the check-out page. As soon as he tried to submitt for payment, the site said  booking failed, try again later. They waited for a couple of weeks and were about to go somewhere elsewhere and thought they would give the booking of my place one last try and, it went through! It was accepted. I asked him if there had been an issue with his payment method and he assured me there was nothing wrong on his end, it seemed to be an Airbnb problem!

Now fortunately this has not cost me anything, I had plenty of upcoming bookings anyway but I have heard of some hosts here who are being devistated by a sudden lack of business so I suggest keep on badgering CX. The more we get on their backs the more likely we are to try and hget to the bottom of this....what ever it is!

Cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

205 Replies 205

My reviews have all been positive;  6 so far with an overall 5 stars rating   !!!!

Nancy

After a couple of seasons I've learned to roll with it. They bounce back. Have there been more listings added in your area? Is there an event hat draws people at certain times of the year. 

Treat your listing like a lover, touch it everyday. Log in, block a day, save it, unblock it. All the best. X

Thanks for responding Simone. With the Christmas season just past, I was wondering if that was a draw for bookings.

I hear you about " touching "the listing everyday. I do. Sometimes I think I am touching it too much:)

Regards

Nancy

Mel37
Level 2
Surfers Paradise, Australia

Hi @dede .......I too am experiencing this....I have gone from super busy to nothing.....I would love for you to review my site and give me your feedback....It would be much appreciated....Mel 😊

Celia63
Level 2
Sassafras, Australia

Hi Mel

Im Shellie from Sassafras in the Mount Dandenong in Victoria

We have also noticed a very sudden drop off.Busy since last October when we joined.

and nothin now for three weeks.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of newbys,but they do sneak in I guess.

I'd like to search for you,what are you called?

We have been on AirBnB since December, and I have been following all of the guidelines.  I monitor prices to be a bit on the low to competitive side (since we are new), we keep the garden and house looking great, and have created a thorough profile for ourselves and our listing.  From the day we started we got inquiries (we are in Orlando, Florida area, about 30 miles from parks), although not everyone booked, we felt like we were in the market.  We got fully booked for Feb. and Mar., but now.... crickets.  I hear nothing.  We haven't changed anything except adding a few extra photos, and adding a foreign language version of our page which I though would be helpful.  Our calendar is completely open from April 15th on.  It is so strange not to even get inquiries.  When I look at the stats for the past 30 days it says 286... less than 10 per day?  Does anyone have any ideas why we would just drop off the algorithm or something?  We did have one guy who unfairly gave us 3 stars for cleaning because our bathroom and kithen were "outdated."  That does not mean they were not clean... I am a neat freak, and a germ freak, so I know they were spotless, speckless, super clean.  Could that rating have made AirBnB shun us?  Here is the listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16123509

Appreciate any advice from other hosts.  

Hello -
My experience has been with  visibility.  Once a month, I change my title and price.  This has helped because the website "system" thinks you're a new listing so you are put in with the newer listings  thus, more visibility.  
I don't think the guest 3 star rating should hurt.  One other thought,  by April, doesn't tourism slow down in Florida?

Hope this is helpful.
Salman2
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hi! 

I am having the same problem. Can you please check my profile as well? Much appreciated thanks!

Salman 

Omar48
Level 2
Laval, CA

Currently experiencing the same problem 😕 

Can you overlook my profile and see if there's anything I should change.

Thanks

Rav0
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hello. I just joined. Had regular bookings all week then it all stoped i eben got good reviews and no cancellations. 

Do i appear in the listings. Whats gone wrong ?

Me too barely a whisper this year, very different from last year and the year before when I had so many inquiries I had to turn away quite a few people. Anyone have any ideas why?

Hello -

Becasue more and more people are becoming hosts, your listing gets pushed down in the viewing.  You need to periodically change the name and price of your lilsting so your listing seems  "fresh on the market, new" and is more visible when folks are looking.  Make sense.  Hope this helps. 

You can't change the name of the listing.

The best thing you can do is to update your calendar everyday by editing the TEXT within the listing.  That's what updates the calendar.  I know.... it makes no sense but what are you gonna do.

Also, look to see how many views you've had this week.  If you have good numbers, and @Omar48, you do, then people just aren't travelling.

I've seen a hit come "bigly" since our US elections.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2017/02/14/trump-ban-causes-tourism-drop-and-industry-f...

Yup - election of Trump hasn't help with decline in business. I agree.

Fabian32
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

Hi,

i host since 2015 and got super host status for bit over one year - last month the incoming inquiries get less and less now it's the first time that both my listing a empty for a week...

could you please check over my listing if I can improve anything ?