Why does Airbnb make you explain why you can’t host when someone books last minute?

Carmen898
Level 1
Winnipeg, Canada

Why does Airbnb make you explain why you can’t host when someone books last minute?

I’ve had a number of guests book last minute such as with wanting to arrive in minutes or in a couple of hours. I really don’t like that Airbnb says you have to say why you won’t book them and that you owe it to them to provide an explanation. I have my settings that guests can send a request to see if I can or not.

My settings are also so that people can’t instant book unless they have a photo, verified ID and at least a good reference, yet they can still somehow send requests and Airbnb says I still owe them an explanation and some of them try to book last minute too (which sometimes seem to be for hook ups).

AirBnb and guests need to just take no for an answer. I don’t appreciate guilt trips or having to explain anything that’s already in my restrictions.

15 Replies 15

It should be. In my case I just told them I was uncomfortable. It was a young guy who wasn't arriving until the NEXT evening and it was mid afternoon so he had time to send a message. It had me questioning his intentions somewhat. Also since I had only been on Airbnb 3 weeks at the time I didn't realize instant book was automatically on until you turn it off. Airbnb did cancel without penalty however it wasn't as easy as they make it sound. I had to call, wait on hold, then explain myself to them. Too much headache for me.