Winter Storm Preparation

Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

Winter Storm Preparation

Battery powered candles.Battery powered candles.
Today is arrival day for my holiday guests. I am sitting in the dark trying to conserve electricity. It is -17F/-27C. The wind chill factor is -50F/-45C. 

The Arctic blast hit at 1630 last night. The temperature at 1600 was 40F/4C. The sun was shining. I had just closed my chickens into the coop for the night and the thermostat had not turned on their heater yet.  Next, I drove to the rental to set out some emergency supplies for the guests arriving today. That was when I had my first clear view of the storm front coming in. I was driving East toward the plains. Dark clouds were moving south for as far as the eye could see.  When I arrived at the rental just a few minutes later, it was dark and a freezing fog had covered everything with frost. I realized then that our housecleaner was probably not coming in the morning, so began the final cleaning myself just in case. I was done in a couple of hours. In those two hours the temperature had dropped to -4F/-20C. 

With these cold temperatures we are expecting power outages, because so much electricity is being used for heating. Out here, it means that the well pumps won't work so there also will not be any water.

We have left ten gallons of drinking water for the guests. We also filled a tub with water they could use to flush the toilets. I left lanterns with extra batteries and a phone charger. We have never allowed guests to use the wood burning stove, but we are making an exception this time. We stocked four bins of firewood on the covered porch for them along with kindling material and extensive instructions on how to operate the stove. We always have instructions on the smoke/CO alarms and evacuation, but I made a point of asking my guest to read these. I hope they are able to get in safely today.

The storm will be over tomorrow afternoon, and any power outages will likely be short. Nonetheless it's important that our guests have resources to be safe and comfortable.

What have you had to do for guests during emergency situations?

Farm Diva
5 Replies 5

@Sheila646 

You are doing everything possible! Do you have a generator that will run some lights and pump water when needed? We do, and it is a godsend! We are permanently off the grid, so we have all these backup systems. You are off the grid temporarily, so some things we depend on may not be on your list. We have covered buckets of sand and cinders strategically placed for getting cars out.  Some extra blankets?  The extra batteries you've provided are a big thing. The water and charged up phone charger - yes! You've got this nailed. To help them appreciate the adventure...just make sure they can contact you in case they have any questions about anything. You rock! 

Battery powered everything, yes! Make sure they know what a damper is! So glad you are mindful of fire hazards. Let me know how this goes, and please bundle yourself up, stay warm, appreciate this wild weather!

Thanks. So far so good. The grid is keeping up with the demand.

We never let guests use the wood stove, but the storm called for an exception so I asked our guest if he had used one before. He had. He grew up on a farm up north. That was a relief to learn. 

I went out to shovel the walkways at the retreat this morning with frequent breaks. There was a lot of snow on the dirt road, but it was passable. All was well at the retreat. Glad to be back home now. Have a great day. 

Farm Diva

We've been talking to them a lot leading up to today and our son lives on property if they need anything urgent. A generator would be great, alas we don't have one. 

Farm Diva
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That is so thoughtful of you @Sheila646! Even in Toronto, we are having a winter storm warning this weekend (even today there is a possibility of a storm).  I hope you and your guests stay safe and healthy amidst all this. Thanks for sharing such wonderful measures that you take to ensure your guests safety🌻.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines