Work to be carried out on an Airbnb property

Debbie1353
Level 2
Leicester, United Kingdom

Work to be carried out on an Airbnb property

Hi all, we have been informed this morning that work is about to start on the Airbnb property we are renting from next week.  We are in the UK and the property is in AUS.  We’ve been told it is work to the outside of the property in preparation for decorating but not absolutely sure.  We are somewhat worried as we’re thinking of sanders and god knows what else starting at the crack of dawn, we will have travelled a very long way and are getting older 🥴 so definitely need our peace and sleep.  I know work like this has to be done and is difficult to fit in but this property was sold as being in a very quiet and peaceful area.  It also came just 2 days after making the final payment ! 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Debbie1353 it'll probably be fine - were any quiet hours defined in the listing?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I too would be worried if I was you. 

what sort of work is being carried out to the outside of the building and during which hours ?

the host absolutely shouldn't be arranging building work in a property while they have guests .

did the host offer a penalty free cancellation ? If you don't want to stay ask Airbnb to cancel penalty free because the host has just informed you they are now having building work for the duration of your stay.

before you do this do check availability for similar listings 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Debbie1353 The best course of action here is to simply communicate with the host! Ask some questions and express your concerns. Maybe ask the questions first, and possibly you won't have concerns. 

The host is obviously conscientious by virtue of the fact that they informed you. It may be something very minor, and they are just being good hosts. Maybe it's somebody outside for one hour in the afternoon? You won't know until you ask!

I understand it's not ideal to receive such a message, but a few questions might alleviate your worries. Communication is the key in so many situations.  

About a month ago I "warned" some incoming guests that the prior guests had encountered several bees in my cabin. This was a first, and I knew there wasn't a hive or nest anywhere, but in an overabundance of caution, I went into great detail about the bee encounter because I was being a conscientious host. In the end, no bees. Did I cause the guests some concern? Maybe, but I think I did the right thing. 

Good luck. Hope it works out. 

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Debbie1353 😊

Thank you for asking this in the community!

I totally understand the situation, and it’s important to have peace around us.

What did you decide to do?

Our Hosts shared great advice with you. Did you get a chance to review it?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Warm regards 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Debbie1353
Level 2
Leicester, United Kingdom

Hi all, thank you so much for the replies sent to me - we have been in touch with the host who has reassured us and fingers crossed all will be good x