Wrong House

Wrong House

Someone on my street has an Airbnb but on the map it shows my home which is not an Airbnb.  Last night someone came to my home at midnight and went to the garage side when our cameras alerted us.  We thought we were getting robbed.  Something really bad could have happened. We called the police.  The person said they booked an Airbnb and it showed our home.  Later that evening we went on this site and looked for an Airbnb near our home.  It is up the street from us.  From the picture of the house we found the address and talked to the owner.  She has tried to correct this with Airbnb and they told her the push button shows the correct home.  When I do a search it still shows my home.  I contacted Airbnb, and am waiting, but this needs to be corrected ASAP.  I want this being directed to my home corrected.

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary6561 The problem here is that Airbnb show a general location for a listing but clearly this circle is centred on somewhere (in this case your property). I can't see an easy solution here I am afraid.

The bad thing is the poor people who showed up at my side garage door at my home at midnight almost got shot.   I have contacted Airbnb three time and also the owner of the Airbnb house.  Airbnb initially told me there was nothing they could do.   I think I might need to get a lawyer.  That might be the easy solution.

The Airbnb host needs to provide very clear instructions to all booked guests including a photo of the front of the house .  The host might also consider restricting arrival time.  Guests must be warned NOT TO DISTURB the neighbors so that they pay attention.    I have not had any problems with guests going to the wrong house and the bubble is not on my house.  I do not provide a photo of the front before booking because that caused a problem--stranger knocking on the door and then demanding to stay. Somebody else waiting in the car.  Very insistent disheveled guy!  I referred him to the local motel. It was rather scary but at least it was daylight.  I truly believe the host can solve this problem for you.  I also had a similar problem not being able to find the house I rented--and there was a delay so it was 1:30 in the morning--and it was pouring rain. The host did not provide clear directions.  Best of luck with your host neighbor. 

There is a photo of the house and when rented it shows the correct address.  The problem is, when doing a search for an Airbnb in my area, it shows my home.  My home has never been and Airbnb nor will it ever be.  I feel very violated that someone came to my side garage door in the middle of the night.  I also feel very violated that someone can search for an Airbnb and it incorrectly show a random home (my home) on a map and that someone can drive by to check My Home out.   I have spoke with the host and she has tried to get this fixed to no avail.  I have called Airbnb 5 times.  It is still not fixed.  I feel this is very fraudulent on the Airbnb side of things.  

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Mary6561 

You say "the problem is, when doing a search for an Airbnb in my area, it shows my home". Where are you doing this search that shows your home? Airbnb does not show a picture of just one house when you search an area on the Airbnb website or Airbnb app. It lists available options (where you say her listing does have a picture of the correct house) and it shows a map area, as @Mike-And-Jane0 and @Lisa166 have mentioned. Are you perhaps searching on Google (perhaps Google Street View)? Let us know exactly what search terms you are typing and on what platform. I think there's a good chance people here will be able to help.

On the Airbnb site, I looked for an Airbnb in my zip code.  I picked a date and clicked on search.  It comes back with a price and it is shown on my house..  My zip code is 92503  I can zoom to my area and the price is pinpointed on my house.  I wish I could share the picture I get on the map on the Airbnb site. And because of this, People are assuming its my home.

It's supposed to be an approximate location if the host has unchecked "Specific Location" which is the default selection. 

I just double checked. The PIN shown on the map and what I have set it to is not the same. 

Airbnb probably moves the PIN just far enough, so that people can't find your listing just based on the PIN to protect the privacy of the listing host. 

Yes they probably did move it to  protect the host, but where they put it is on my house and it invades my privacy. They need to fix this .