Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

change to a booking - adding a baby

Nicky253
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

change to a booking - adding a baby

We have an upcoming booking made some time ago for 6 adults - plus they mentioned in passing - likely a 3 year old.  I messaged them earlier in the week to find out about the 3 year old and that our house is not set up for toddlers (however I didn't add in our listing no children) and to let them know we have open kitchen cupboards etc.  She then replied...... yes 3 couples. Plus Elliot who will be closer to 4, and they have a new baby, who doesnt move yet (3 mths)....  She did not add the toddler or the baby to the booking and i now not only have to get the house ready but also remove all precious items from low levels due to toddler.  When I called Airbnb they said that as I did not specify in the listing "no kids" that i would be charged a cancellation fee if I decided to cancel the booking.  

I've messaged the guest to ask if she could amend the booking to add the 4 year old to the booking but have had no response.  That was 2 days ago.  I don't want to host these guests anymore - any suggestions?  

2 Replies 2

Hi Nicky,

You’ve already communicated your safety concerns about hosting a toddler and a baby, but the guest hasn’t updated the booking to reflect their presence. Reiterate the need for transparency in guest numbers due to the safety risks, and if they don’t respond, escalate the issue with Airbnb, citing the unsuitability of the home for young children.

From Airbnb’s policy, while infants (under 2) may not count as extra guests, children should be added to the booking. Ensure you document all communication for Airbnb support.

For future bookings, you can update your listing to mention specific restrictions related to child safety and suitability, which will provide more clarity to potential guests. Additionally, you can request to cancel the reservation due to house rule violation given that it has been disclosed on your Airbnb description and houserule.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

@Alicia753 Thank you very much - appreciate your prompt and succinct reply.  Will action now.