date change after check in

Lamyai1
Level 1
กทม, Thailand

date change after check in

Hi guys, I would like to tell you about my experience.

The last guest (Sebastian) also came from USA as the guest now in my room, paid for 4 weeks, wanted to check out after 3 weeks with reason to travel to Phuket island, sent me date change told him that due to cancellation policy of airbnb no refund is possible. He immediately cut off communication with me and wrote me a damaging negative and full of lies review as revenge. I lost my superhost status as a result! I now have the same problem with the guest in my room who sends me a change of date even after 20 days stay to get money back because he changed his mind.  Airbnb does not want to delete the review! I will delete this Airbnb profile because of you guys from USA who do not follow the airbnb policies.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lamyai1 

If a guest books a reservation of 28 nights and more, the "long term stay" cancellation policy automatically applies. It means there is  no refund of the (maximum) remaining 30 nights if the reservation is cancelled or shortened. So you do not need to tell them there is no refund, they can see it themself when they initiate a cancellation or shortening. The cancellation policy is acccepted by the guest at time of booking.

Hello Emiel1, thank you for your reply,  the problem is they send me request for date change and not cancellation of the booking. they are bugging me why I don't reply to the request for date change

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Lamyai1 If this is continuing to happen to you then I suggest that you restrict stays to two weeks and see how that works out . It seems your rivals on Phuket Island want some of your guests. Good luck . Explain to Airbnb that the reviews were revenge reviews and see if you can get them removed. H

Hello Helen744.

in thailand it is forbidden to rent private apartments for less than one month, you have to pay a fine of 600USD. Only those who have a license are allowed to rent in thailand, unfortunately small landlords like me do not get a license, you have to own at least 20 apartments to get a business license.

@Lamyai1 I did not know that Lamyai, well they cannot force you to amend the dates . It is at your discretion . Do not put yourself in a position of being 'the greedy land lord 'though. You must explain to them that in Thailand airbnbs are rented by the month and if they want discounts they need to request then 'before ' the stay. also explain that discounts are already built in . they are welcome to cancel and leave but you are not in a position to initiate this cancellation . If you get another booking you can offer a partial refund but only after payment is received for that booking . All the best It may be a good idea to explain this on the front page of your listing . H

also Lamyai, make sure that this message is included in your first message to the guests , 'to choose carefully your Airbnbs , as they are restricted to 'monthly stays , by local law' Very important Lamyai you do not need to be refunding a month at a time because it was not on your listing.This may result in fewer guests but at least the ones that stay will pay . Let the ones who want to go , maybe offer a small gift if they leave early, a bus ticket? H

(Thailand have strict rules about rent rooms, please check the last photo on my gallery or ask authorities.).jpg

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lamyai1 Can I suggest that you add to your description that, due to Thai law, you are unable reduce the length of stay conceit is booked. It may help a bit.