flat for rent

flat for rent

Hi I would like if somebody could tell me if I am beeing scammed or not. I found a flat to rent (for a year) in Brno but the lady that owns it is not there and is from poland so she said we can do this first month payment via airbnb , she will send me the keys i will pay for the rent andthen after i visit the place  a will pay the guarantee deposit. can it be true ? she also said the flat wos listedon airbnb but the link expired 5 days ago because she had to pay additional taxes.. what do ou think can you help me?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Nina1782 Its a well known scam. Just ignore this 'opportunity' and find a place elsewhere.

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Nina1782 

I can understand your concern and  you're right to take all the necessary precautions before agreeing to rent this place.

Are you saying that this listing is being taken down by Airbnb and will no longer be shown on the platform?

Airbnb are asking hosts to  have to verify their listings by sending documented photos/videos to be sure that they are indeed legitimate.  Non compliance means that listings will be removed.  This might be the case here or it may just be that the host no longer wants to be on Airbnb.  Are you talking to the owner or someone representing them? 

Curious to know what these additional taxes are?  Legislation is moving fast around the world concerning short term rentals so some hosts are moving back to long term rentals.

Try and make some checks on the owner and use Google Lens to check that the photos on the listing correspond to the location of this flat.  I have had my photos stollen twice now and they have appeared on another site for a rental in Paris😡

I don't think that many people would search for a yearly rental on Airbnb as different rules apply to long term tenants offering better protection for tenants.  You don't say in which country you are looking for?  

Check up on Airbnb how long term rentals work as you will be required to pay one month up front and give one months notice to the host.  Yet the listing won't be available on the platform after the first month if I have understood you correctly??

So Nina, continue on communicating with this host to be sure they are legitimate and look elsewhere too.  Check up on the regulations in place for the country concerned about the rights of tenants too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Joëlle

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Joelle43 Sorry but this is a standard scam. The payment will appear to be going to Airbnb but will actually go to the scammer and there will be no flat at the end of it. @Nina1782 Please don't fall for this scam!

@Joelle43  As already mentioned by  @Mike-And-Jane0 It is the most common way to scam people. They use the Airbnb name to sound legit but will try to get you to pay outside the platform @Nina1782 Only book on the official Airbnb page as Airbnb keeps your money safe until after you have checked in. Listings do not expire because of unpaid taxes!! Best, Sandra