guest changing CC

Keith908
Level 2
Brookfield, CT

guest changing CC

I am a new host and after my first guest experience being a negative one im looking to use the hive mind of hosts here for information before my second guest arrives.

My second guest who is a little over a week out has notified me that they needed to order a new CC and are hoping that they can keep the reservation. While I understand the need (lost cards ID theft ETC) to sometime replace a CC my first guest experience has left me skeptical about guests truthfulness. Am I being scammed?

Should I/ can I cancel this guests stay? will I have to pay airbnb for cancellation?  Any information or guidance from the community on this would be helpful.  -Thanks

2 Replies 2
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Keith908 

I doubt this is a problem for you. I would just contact customer support and double-check that this specific booking is already fully paid up. If so, Airbnb will pay you after check-in. The only potential issue is if you want to charge extra afterwards (for example if they broke something). Then you may need them to upload the new card on Airbnb for that charge to go through. Again customer support should be able to help - perhaps you can ask them to contact the guest and ensure that the new card is loaded before check-in.

Hazel184
Level 5
Malolos, Philippines

Hi @Keith908,

Welcome to the community.  

Do not cancel the reservation.  Each host cancelation is penalized by the system. You may see the full penalties here https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990

Payment collection is done by Airbnb.  Depending on some factors,   they may be given an option for a payment plan that allows them to pay in two parts - partially during the booking process and on a scheduled date.  This is collected 12-14 days before check-in. If the second payment fails and the guest is unable to pay it within the additional period given to them,  the reservation will be canceled and your cancellation policy will be applied.  

You may read the full payment plan details in this article https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2143

Short-term bookings or those no more than 27 days are fully paid before they check-in  

Hope this helps.  

Warm regards.