guest wants to view my place before booking

Answered!

guest wants to view my place before booking

Hi all, 

I received an enquiry for a 2 night booking but the guest wants to visit my place and see the house. This is a little  strange to me because the photos are there and the review’s confirming the house to be true to the photos. Also I don’t live in the same city of the house so the key is usually with the guard but I don’t let him come inside of the home and I would have to pay him to give up his time to show this guest around the house. Im unsure what the right thing to say is but I don’t want have to show him the house before completing the reservation for my own security. I think Airbnb should alert the customers that they are not allowed to view homes before completing the reservation such as when they block you from sending or receiving contact information, it should be the same for asking to view the place. Any advice on the right thing to say without sounding rude to the customer?Thank you

1 Best Answer
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Yes, you could understand the help text like this, @Joelle43 .

However, does that make sense?

We would not allow booked guests entering the room before the regular check-in date/time.

And I think, guests ask for viewing the place before booking, not after.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Amirah14 

Just tell your guest that all the information they need to decide to stay with you is available on your listing and that it's against Airbnb's T&Cs to share contact information before a booking is made.

Thanks for your response Helen. Yes I did make that clear to the guest with which they responded with “its your job” I was furious. he then decided not to book. Lol

Hello @Amirah14 

I had this request a few times during my first year hosting and when I dug deeper, it became obvious that they wanted to book outside of the platform.  

I think you're well rid of them anyway and they sound like they could have been a bad guest.

All the best

Joëlle

thats makes sense actually. just seems so strange to even ask such a question. like if you were going to a hotel you wouldn’t go and visit the room beforehand. he also had other demands like staying after checkout for many hours for free. Ridiculous.

I would decline a booking like that instantly regardless of reviews or info 

the intention just seems strange. You can look online, you can use google maps but I will say though, I’ve heard this tends to happen more to female hosts from what I’ve read. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Then I think you dodged a bullet - he sounds like an unreasonable person you wouldn't want to stay @Amirah14 

I doubt he'll find any host foolish enough to allow him to view before he books for a two night stay.

personally I would report him via Airbnb messaging. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Airbnb says: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47

You can send this help text to your guests: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/127

Hello @Till-and-Jutta0 

I've just read the two links that you sent and if I understand correctly, guests can ask to view a listing AFTER they have booked but not before?  I didn't think it was possible either way but it would seem that I'm wrong about this.

Is this your understanding too?

Thank you

Joëlle

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Yes, you could understand the help text like this, @Joelle43 .

However, does that make sense?

We would not allow booked guests entering the room before the regular check-in date/time.

And I think, guests ask for viewing the place before booking, not after.

They can ask to view a place after booking, but the host doesn't have to indulge them, by using many diplomatic excuses like > 'it is presently occupied'.

thank you 🙏🏼