guest which couldn't check in due to hospitalization

Michelle4188
Level 2
Bartlesville, OK

guest which couldn't check in due to hospitalization

Hello everyone! Happy Sunday! I'm a new host and wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do? I have a booking and had really wonderful contact with the guest, who had made this reservation about 2 months in advance. We had been messaging two days before and then the day before, they were very excited for their booking. The night before they were supposed to check in, he messaged me saying that he had an accident and was hospitalized and that they wouldn't be able to make it. I responded with a lot of concern of course and hope that he's ok. He has not asked for any refund. I don't know if he had travel insurance etc, but I am guessing, from his very high position, that he's not concerned about the refund. Has anyone experienced a guest being unable to check in because of an emergency hospitalization?  

Thank you for any suggestions and advice!

5 Replies 5
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Michelle4188 Yes this happens. Not frequently but it happens. Most guests understand they are outside of their cancellation window and don’t ask for refund. Others will ask you to refund even though they are outside of window. 
It’s up to you how you want to handle it. 
with this guest not asking I would leave well enough alone. 
Maybe  if he books again in the future comp him a couple nights. I have done that before. 

Karen

Hi Karen, thank you so much for your quick reply. That is a great idea!  - to comp him a couple of nights for a future booking. I love that, because of course I feel bad for him and want to show compassion. But yes, I am grateful he didn't ask. I just wondered if he will still leave a review? Because he apparently didn't alert AirBnb, my account still shows that I'm currently hosting him. Maybe I should alert AirBnb? I know he is a regular in the area or at least every summer because of the music festival. 

Thanks so much again, 

Michelle

@Michelle4188  He can't leave you a review if he never checked in.  I would once again leave well enough alone and if he does leave a review take it up with Air if and when it happens.  

Karen
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Karen114,

Technically, the guest can leave a review if they've not cancelled the reservation, but is breaking the reviews policy if they do so.  @Michelle4188, Airbnb doesn't have a systematic notification method for no-shows.  I recommend that you contact Airbnb CS on the scheduled checkout date and inform them that the guest didn't show up.  Hopefully, all of your communication with them about the accident and hospitalization were conducted on Airbnb's message system.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Michelle4188 , hope the comments from the Hosts have helped you with how to go ahead with the situation.

Did you hear back from the guest? Hope they are recovering well from the accident.🌻 Have they requested a refund since you posted about it in the Community. 

We look forward learn how you dealt with this situation 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines