host's lie

Hyun-Jin1
Level 2
South Korea

host's lie

Due to unavoidable circumstances, I was unable to use the reserved accommodation.

So I explained the situation to the host and discussed the refund with the host.

The consultation ended well and canceled it as the host told me to.

However, the host did not answer the customer center's call and blocked my message.

The customer center says it cannot give a refund because the host does not receive a call.

The customer center says it cannot give a refund because the host does not receive a call.

I can't send a message to the host anymore, what should I do?

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Hyun-Jin1 

The host quite  clearly says you are only entitled to a 50% refund under the cancellation policy you booked under.

but that as a gesture of good will on his part if you cancel the booking IF he gets a replacement booking he will refund you the host fee for the whole booking (which is very kind of him) 

I'm not sure why the host would then block you? Perhaps you kept chasing him and he got frustrated 

in any case Airbnb will be able to refund you the 50% refund you are entitled to so give them a call .

you say that it was unexpected circumstances that led you to cancel so you could put in a claim with your travel insurance. 

It's rather misleading to say the host is lying when he was in fact willing to help you. 

I want to get a 50% refund, but the customer center doesn't give it to me.

I've already talked to the customer center several times, but all of them have been rejected.

@Hyun-Jin1  keep trying .. H

Okay!

I was sorry to the customer center staff, so I couldn't do it more, but I should still do it!!

Thanks for the advice.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hyun-Jin1 

I don't know when this happened, as the correspondence you posted has been deleted, but it can take several days for the refund to be processed. 

This is what Airbnb CS told me when I asked about timings of a guest's refund: "A refund process takes up to 5 business days , but this is a general fact , as I saw refunds completed in few hours , or even 10-15 business days. It all depends on the Guest's Payment Provider..."

Maybe check with your payment provider to see if a refund has been issued or not and if they are processing it.

If you were entitled to a 50% refund under the cancellation policy on your booking, the host cannot refuse to refund it because Airbnb, not the host, collects the guest's payment and should automatically issue any refund due when there is a cancellation. 

With Airbnb CS telling you there is no refund, there may well be some confusion here, e.g. they think you mean a refund for the other 50%...

Or, and I have seen this misunderstanding posted here on the CC before, the guest has paid 50% upfront, so after cancellation, they are not due anything back as they never paid the remaining 50% in the first place and so the slate is clear. You do not get back 50% of the 50%!  I hope that makes sense.

As to why the host has blocked you, were you pestering him about the refund? I had a guest who I offered to refund on top of what he was due according to the cancellation policy, ONLY if the nights were rebooked. Although I repeatedly told him that I would let him know if that happened, he kept harassing me about it, which was not cool as my offer was a favour and not something I was obliged to do.

I just asked the host when the refund will be made and that's all I asked them to get a 50% refund after getting a call from the customer center.

I didn't get anything back at the moment.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Hyun-Jin1  Hyun-JIn1 there are some rules and terms and conditions that you enter into via agreement before booking. The hosts have individual cancellation policies. These must be read. The host has asked you to cancel as the inability to use the accommodation was not their fault.If they only allow a fifty per cent refund then that is all you will receive,unless the host cancelled on you or there were reasons outside of that concerning the stay .Flexible cancellation policies are maybe a better way for you to choose your bookings, look out for these advertised on the listing. They allow you to cancel 24 hours before arrival with no penalty , only on Airbnb. most other booking agents do not allow this. ITS worth looking for . I am sorry you are out of pocket in this way but "buyer beware' Read the listing . ...H

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

If you are intitled to a refund per the host's policy, you should get that automatically. if you paid with a credit card, you can file a dispute

I don't think I can file a dispute where I live now.

@Hyun-Jin1 Unless you have moved North there should be no reason why you cannot file a dispute.

Okay. I'll try it! Thank u👍