illegal immigrant stash house

illegal immigrant stash house

had a guest book for 20 days - got a call last night from border patrol - more than 80 immigrants staying in the house - totally trashed the house - contacted airbnb they were less than useless - lady did not understand what's going on - i guess i will now find out if airbnb stands behind there hosts - border patrol told me this has been going with airbnb el paso area for over six months - of course no notice or warnings from airbnb

8 Replies 8
Ashleigh117
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Wow, this is really discouraging. I'm would think that Airbnb would send out a warning on there platform, as this has been an issue for 6 entire months. We as hosts really need to take extra security measures. 

I hope you will at least be compensated for your property being trashed, or is this wishful thinking 🤔

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would Airbnb send out warnings about illegal activity in an area @Ashleigh117 .

as hosts we should be aware of these risk factors . For example in my city I know STRs get used for county line drug dealing and prostitution. 

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Jimmy287 , this is really unfortunate.  However, if you didn't know about individuals using Airbnb's in your area as stash houses for illegal activities for the last 6 months,  how would Airbnb know?

Do you have security cameras on your properties? This would help you monitor your properties especially if you are not on-site. As owners we need to be pro-active and put measures into place that protect our investments.  

Best of luck. 

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Jimmy287 

Ask for an incident report from the border patrol and then use it to chase after Airbnb for extra guest fees, house rule violation and property damages. 

don’t get too emotional about the damages. at least you have an official document to support your claim 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jimmy287 
I had to look up what a 'Stash House' is and see it's likely tied in with Human Trafficking, and other illegal activities.

We are having similar problems here in New Zealand since our borders reopened around this time last year with similar types of behavior and overcrowding into our houses - over 40 men living in a 3 bedroom home is one such example.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and anyone else.

Alas I see they have also arrested some in El Paso which is good, although with Air Travel so accessible these days it may be an ongoing nightmare to deal with.

On the positive side, all international authorities can and need to work together to address these issues.

One matter that needs to be addressed, and probably tripled to be realistic, is the required sum of monies in a bank account to live in another country as it hasn't increased in some countries for over 15 years so fails to factor into account inflation.

It's sad to read of such situations arising anywhere in the world and unfortunately with so much online crime and fake documents surfacing it will only get worse until their are better Regulations and existing regulations enforced.

@Tara-Bunch

Is the issue of Stash Houses, something you can help educate Customer Services staff on?

Some of these incidents may be completely new and foreign to some people and it would be conducive to a better working relationship between CS and the wider ABB Community.

Thanks in advance

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

what an awful experience for you and for those who have been trafficked .

What's vetting questions did you ask the guest when booking to ensure they are a good fit for your listing .  @Jimmy287 

how were 80 people able to stay at your listing and you not be aware. Do you not have CCTV or similar? 

presumably you have been at the property to collect evidence of all damages and are starting to get quotes so you can submit a claim to Airbnb.

personally I wouldn't rely on Airbnbs guarantee but would also submit a claim on my own home insurance for short term lets. 

Trafficked? It's an invasion.....and Air BnB is pushing it.....Im done with Air BnB if they don't start listening to we hosts. AIR should be held responsible. Why should we owners have to 1) pay a deductible 2) experience higher rental insurance rates and 3) Lose revenue while we are forced to shut down for needed repairs.

Unless they buck up and start supporting HOSTS, I am done with this woke company: https://www.forbes.com/sites/freylindsay/2021/08/25/airbnb-offers-free-housing-to-refugees-says-prop...

Don't bet on it..... https://www.forbes.com/sites/freylindsay/2021/08/25/airbnb-offers-free-housing-to-refugees-says-prop...

Its a SICK world when these so called refugees have more rights than hard working Americans.