is this allowed? the host entered the home without consent

Vic7045
Level 1
Highbury, Canada

is this allowed? the host entered the home without consent

The host was talking to me on the deck.
Proceeded to enter the home and go through the rooms to see who was there.
Is this wrong?    What about my privacy?  
Should I look for compensation as the tone for our weekend changed, very uneasy feeling.

Send your expert opinions.   Thanks

What is AirBnB's policy.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you booked a whole listing the host shouldn't enter the premises during your stay unless there is an emergency and you have agreed a time for them to enter @Vic7045 

What reason did the host give for thinking more people at the property than had booked. It would have been better to confirm at the time that they weren't allowed to enter.

i don't think you're entitled to compensation the best way to address this issue is by leaving an honest review to warn future guests.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Yes, the host screwed up big time.

But as a fellow host, I don't want to get another host in trouble. Perhaps give the host a chance, maybe he just screwed up and forgot he can't do this ever (assuming this is a whole-home listing). 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Be careful here. We've had guests who call us out for one reason or another then file a "invasion of privacy" complaint demanding a full refund because we showed up to service their request.

On the other hand, there are hosts who don't understand the concept of "hospitality" and may assume every guest is defrauding them in some way. They haven't learned to leave the guests alone. 

We can't know what happened here. 

In any case, if the host decided to go inside to check if the guest has more in people than was booked for, then it's just stupidity, not worthy of a refund. They didn't harm you or keep you from staying.

Just write it in the review and move on. 

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Vic7045 

I agree with @Helen3 , terrible situation, but rather an issue to raise in the review and not in the form of a refund. Something similar has happened to me at an Airbnb and I found it extremely inappropriate