pets

Sheralyne0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

pets

Good morning All

We have just come across a situation regarding pets, we do not allow pets due to the extra cleaning and most importantly other guests and cleaners allergies. Airbnb have a service dog policy where the guest does not need to inform the host of bringing a service dog.

I have made contact with one host where this guest previously stayed and they have confirmed the dog is not a service dog, have any of you any thoughts on this please. The guest left the property in a mess along with leaving dog facies and pee inside the property and allowed the dog to sleep in the beds. 

HOW can we as hosts protect ourselves from this as the guest does not need to advise of this when booking.

6 Replies 6
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sheralyne0 

Do you have the option, yourself or co-host, to meet and greet guests at arrival.  That is the best way to avoid this type of situation, so you can resolve immediately.

Please remember to leave an homest review so other hosts don't end up in the same situation as yourself.

Sheralyne0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

It is not possible to greet guests. If say we were and they arrive with a pet or service dog or horse (Airbnb polocy) what could we do??

We would need to turn guests away which would be wrong, so if we were informed at or prior to the booking we could have refused.  We are not against in any way service animals however we need to think of incoming guests and cleaners that do have pet allergies.

How many hosts have read the pet policy (would you accept a miniature horse in you home) as ridiculous as it sounds.

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Following the conversation!  We've just opened our place up to pets (this is one of 3 places, and we don't allow pets at the other 2). Looking for guidance on how to avoid issues.

Sarah4518
Level 1
Midland, TX

So, we have a guest that messaged about her service dog. The problem is that we are pet free and she’s now claiming her pet isn’t a pet. Which under certain laws I get. However, the reason we are pet free is because of people being allergic. So, pet or not, if it’s a 4 legged furry animal how are we supposed to provide great service for people booking that think we are pet free? I can clean greatly for the next guest, but now I’m reading that people with a service dog are not required to pay a pet fee because it’s not a pet. This is getting ridiculous. We stay very booked and often don’t have but a 3-4hr turnaround for our next guest. If an animal destroys the space and makes it to where the next guest coming in can’t stay that’s terrible. 

I'm a new host but I've been following various threads on service dogs vs emotional support dogs. The former you may legally ask (and please look it up cuz I'm going off the top of my head) what are they trained to do and what is the disability (it's the latter I think may need tweaking but I'm close). 
Emotional support dogs, pretty much nothing so be sure to clarify and also to check your state laws regarding the differences and whether or not you can charge a pet deposit.
You may or may not be able to charge a pet deposit, but if you look at your State laws (or consult with an attorney), there's got to be a way to charge for damage.

Lastly, you can claim it is detrimental to your property if in fact it is (e.g., shared space and allergies).
I don't know if this helps but that's my inexperienced 10 cents.