shared bathroom floor damaged by guest

shared bathroom floor damaged by guest

I have 2 guests shared 1 bathroom upstairs, both lived over 1 month with bargained price (23%-25% off , both are interns). During their stay, one day I found a deep scratch on the shared bath's floor.  I couldn't figure out who did it. Today, when I did cleaning I found cracks around that scratch. There used to be a sink underneath so this floor got some hollow area underneath without support (6“ diameter I believe? poor job done by former house owner). I know one of the two folks is abusively using my house , he do laundry from 5pm till 1am usually on weekends, slammed doors during midnight without any concern everyday. Two men used 380sheets toilet paper in 3 days usually, so averagely they use 63 sheets toilet paper to clean every day, or 24ft (7.25m) / day / person.

Now it's shared bath, the floor has less support, I couldn't find who did it. I have been living, hosting guests for 1 year without issue. How can I address this floor damage? How to claim damages?

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Leon3174 

From your message it sounds like the present bathroom floor was not in a good condition and prone to damage:

"There used to be a sink underneath so this floor got some hollow area underneath without support (6“ diameter I believe? poor job done by former house owner)"

It sounds like ordinary use would have caused the damage, rather than anything either of the guests did wrong?

180lb-200lb shouldn't cause trouble because too many guests heavier used it in past 3 years and no one caused problem. but I probably passed on. the damage is due to abusive use apparently. cannot claim as normal worn. but it will involve much more time so I will eat cost and tear down whole floor and redo it. 

these two folks will check out soon I worried they damaged something in the room, too. will keep posted here.

Bronwyn100
Level 8
Hardys Bay, Australia

Have your insurance company look at it. They will either give you a new floor or say no. Be grateful your guests are leaving.  Don't put out so much toilet paper. Didn't you check the rooms when you changed the sheets? A quiet word to them when they are using the kitchen might have stopped the slamming doors.