washing sheets and towels after hosting

Yara1
Level 1
New York, NY

washing sheets and towels after hosting

Dear Community, I am new to this. Is it normal to ask guests when they leave to strip the beds and leave sheets and towels on the machine? Do you ask them to wash and dry them or just leave them for the host to wash and dry afterwards?

35 Replies 35
Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

I charge a cleaning fee and I ask guests to take care of their dishes, strip the bed and take out the garbage.  "Cleaning" is so much more than laundry and dishes.  

With or without a cleaning fee, I would prefer to strip my own beds and see what's there.   Also, I inventory towels and it's important for me to check them.

Do you all clean sheets for beds that are visibly unused? Like it is obvious it was not slept in.

@Chantel16  Why are there beds made up that guests aren't using? And how can you tell they have not been touched? 

Angie520
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I ask my guests to strip the bed, towels & place them in the laundry basket, due to Covid. My rate is $150 per night. I've only had one guest make the comment she would try & get everything done before she left. She did.

I also wash everything, because you don't know what they've used or not.

Angie
Kanani4
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Everyone does it differently. It's a preference that varies greatly depending on how big an operation the owner is running. If they are doing all the cleaning themselves, with not a lot of time in between guests, they might ask that you do this. Doing so also helps the cleaners know which beds have been slept in, however, just leaving an unmade bed does the same thing. 
Many managers will have a stockpile of sheets, towels, and pillowcases so that they can change the sheets with fresh ones, and take the used ones offsite to be washed in hot water. Laundry on site takes forever, and it's not an efficient use of time!
We do ask that trash and recyclables be taken out, just in case the cleaners can't get there the same day. 
I have had guests who went the extra route and vacuumed and swiffered as well. They weren't asked, but this was their personal preference as they were traveling with pets. (One, bless her, even travelled with a tape roll to get any pet fur off the sofas and beds. While we ask that pets stay off the furniture, we have pets ourselves, and know that fur travels!). 
Remember, we aren't a hotel. Many AirBnB's are a personal extension of the owner's home, so any TLC given to it by the guest is very much appreciated.