Adding a Cleaning Fee: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Adding a Cleaning Fee: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

There are mixed feelings of many hosts whether to have a cleaning fee on their listing or not.  Some hosts add a cleaning fee in their listing while others build it into the price.  Here is a Help Guide on how to add a cleaning fee to your listing.

***NOTE: This Help Guide has been created using the new layout so if you have a different layout, please visit https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Adding-a-Cleaning-Fee-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/53351#M24...

First of all, if you do not have the option to add a cleaning fee, you will need to publish your listing first and then the option will be available.  I recommend to publish your listing and then quickly unlist it so that you get the full editing options for your listing.

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listings" and then choose the listing you wish to add the cleaning fee to.

1.png

Step 2: From the choices, choose "Pricing" and then go to the "Extra Charges" section and choose Edit.

2.png

Step 3: Go to the "Cleaning Fee" section and then enter the cleaning fee followed by selecting "Save"

3.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

25 Replies 25
Jolene18
Level 2
Fremont, CA

So I have a reservation with  no cleaning fee charged. Can I still charge the guest? I contacted him and he declined to pay the cleaning fee. But I cannot afford to have him stay if he doesn't pay the cleaning fee......any advice on how to move forward and have everyone happy?

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jolene18

This is not meant to get you upset when I ask this but, how do you know the guest did not pay the cleaning fee?  Was it part of your listing when this guest booked?  Was there an alteration request on this reservation?  The reason I ask is that when there is an alteration, the cleaning fee is still charged however it is no longer shown in your transaction history as it is all shown as one charge, with the cleaning fee included.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

who has time to make user aids?  good lord, i can think of a million better ways to spend my time.  the intention is great but the judgement rendered is cuckoo

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Michelle1190
Level 2
West Lake Stevens, WA

I have had good luck with telling each guest this.... " you may have noticed we do not charge a cleaning fee, that said, we kindly ask you to put all of your dirty towels in the shower, strip the beds and put the sheets on the floor, remove all garbage, remove all personal food items from the fridge and start the dishwasher."  Not once in 23 bookings has a guest failed to do this. Obviously, we are new at this - and this may not always work. It would be reflected in their review.  I clean the Airbnb. It would appear when guests know you are not adding extra  fees they are also happy to help out. 

I've not been so lucky.  My guests rarely do any of that, although we do ask on check out.  I clean and change the linens weekly for longer terms guests so they don't stain them. 

Hey, I am Barbara from GHCS Professionals and we provide cleaning & janitorial services. I'm happy to help any way I can, to start,

>You can choose if you want flat fee pricing or let us know your budget.

>We have a system that can provide an easy-to-use system with more security and convenience.

Please feel free to leave a message, we can send you a quote at bsumalnap@ghcspro.com

We are looking forward to this opportunity and keep your facility clean!

What areas do you service?

Trish155
Level 3
Michigan, United States

Thank you!  I do both, as I clean and change the linens weekly for long term guests. 

A couple of observations on cleaning fees:

1. We do list a cleaning fee which works well on the majority of bookings as they are usually weekends. The problem arises on the longer, multi week bookings when we will change sheets and towels weekly - There is no option to select a ‘Weekly cleaning fee’ only a ‘Per booking’ cleaning fee!

2. In view of the above we would prefer to remove the cleaning fee and include it within the nightly rate - but we get so many e mails advising how we are losing out to listings slightly cheaper than ours we are reluctant to do so.  We take a pride in what we offer and are not interested in a ‘chase to the bottom’

Thanks!

Angus-and-David0
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Personally I would never stay anywhere that added a separate cleaning fee. Add it into your price.