Adding a Security Deposit: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Adding a Security Deposit: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

***NOTE: This Help Guide has been created using the new layout so if you have a different layout, please visit https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Adding-a-Cleaning-Fee-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/53351#M24...

Please note, if you do not have the option to add a security, you will need to publish your listing first and then the option will be available.  I recommend to publish your listing and then quickly unlist it so that you get the full editing options for your listing.

I firmly believe that ALL hosts should have a security deposit for their listing.  There are many times where a host posts on the Community Center that a guest caused damage, broke something in their listing, or any other reason a host may need to make a claim.  

It is also important to understand that even if you charge a security deposit on your listing, the security deposit is not charged at the time of booking.  Airbnb does not put a hold or an authorization on the guest's payment method and this is only charged if the host makes a claim within the guidelines set out.  

Here is an article indicating this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140 

Setting a Security Deposit

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listings" and then choose the listing you wish to add the cleaning fee to.

1.png

Step 2: From the choices, choose "Pricing" and then go to the "Extra Charges" section and choose Edit.

2.png

Step 3: Go to the "Security Deposit" section and then enter the security deposit amount followed by selecting "Save"

1.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

23 Replies 23
Liz3506
Level 2
Bristol, VA

I felt that charging a security deposit would scare off listers.  I really don’t have anything that nice that I would be too worried about someone damaging. I wondering about the deposit, but did add a $30 cleaning fee to help cover costs of cleaning supplies.  

@Liz3506, unfortunately, this is not a real security deposit, as no money is held during the stay. In order to claim damages, you have to request money from the guest and if they refuse, then Airbnb gets involved to make a decision as to whether or not your claim is valid. 

I personally have an $800 'deposit' on my listing and have only had one guest ever ask about it before. 

Jocelyn369
Level 2
Fredericton, Canada

Thank you!  Have have been back and forth on adding a deposit to my listings.  I will be now. I appreciate the layout 

Felicity55
Level 2
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

It is important to charge a Security Deposit/Breakage Deposit Fee. Most guests are usually very good and respect your property, but there will always be one who goes against the norm.  We need to be prepared for and compensated when and if this happens.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Felicity55 I would agree with you except Airbnb don't actually charge or even reserve the security deposit so it is pretty pointless I am afraid.

Well, there is good and a part about security deposit, some of the clients may be afraid to send you the money as a security deposit, others simply has a fixed amount of money(travellers especially) so they simply do not have these money to send to you. On the other hand, this is a security measure and it's yours security you must fight for. In case you have been caused a damage in your apartment this deposit can cover it. It's more about you and your decision to make, to have much more bookings or to be sure you won't be deceived and you won't have to cover any damage from your own pocket

Stephanie2266
Level 2
Bainbridge Island, WA

It appears that this is no longer an option under the "Additional Charges" tab.  Is it no longer possible to charge a deposit and/or can I request one through the resolution center?

I came here to ask the same question, I can't add a security deposit anymore.

Hi @Nathan2676 

Unfortunately the security deposit function has now been removed.  

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/how-were-holding-guests-responsible-for-damage-503

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host