All About Reviews: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

All About Reviews: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

I have gone through all of the questions in the previous post by this name and have updated those questions in this new post.  If you have any others, please comment and they will be added in the next update.

One of the most popular topics on the Community Center is reviews.  I have created this Community Help Guide to hopefully answer the most common questions and issues in one place.  If you have any other information you wish to share on the topic of reviews, please share them by responding to this post.  You can find my other Community Help Guides here and if this helps you, feel free to give a thumbs up below! 

How do reviews work?

Approximately 24 hours after your guests checks out, you and your guest will have an opportunity to review each other on your experience.  Once the reviews are written, the guests review will be published to your profile and your review of the guest will be published to their profile.

When can a host or guest leave a review?

Airbnb will send an email approximately 24 hours after the guest checks out which will include a button with “Leave a Review” in it.  You click on this and it will take you to your Airbnb account where you can review your guest.

How can I write a review for a guest?

When you get your email or notification, click on the "Leave a Review" button and this will take this to the "review" section of your account.  

Here is what the email looks like:

review1.png

You can also go to your review section on your account and your review opportunity will be there.  Take a look at the image below where it says "Reviews By You".  There is a "1" beside it showing that I have one review to write.  Click on where it says, "Reviews By You"

reviews6.png

You will then have an opportunity to write you review for your guest by selecting "Write a Review".

reviews2.png

Once you choose "Write a Review", you will be taken to the page below.  Fill in the boxes and choose your star ratings for the guest (1 being poor and 5 being excellent).  The "Describe Your Experience" section is what will be posted publicly on your guest's profile but the private guest feedback only goes to the host.  You can then give a thumbs up or down depending if you would recommend this guest to other hosts (I believe this comes into play with your Instant Book settings).  Once this is all entered and you have checked for errors, you can then click "Submit".

reviews5.png

After you submit your review, you will be taken to a page to provide private feedback to Airbnb.  Enter feedback if you wish and then click "submit".

Reviews7.png

You will then get a confirmation page.  Click next and you are done providing your review.

Reviews8.png

What can I not say or do in a review - Review Guidelines

Your reviews of a guest or a guest’s review of you must fall within Airbnb Review Guidelines:

They don't allow:

• Reviews that do not represent a user’s personal experience .
  • Reviews unrelated to the actual reservation (ex: political, religious, or social commentary).
  • Content that endorses or promotes illegal or harmful activity or violence, or is profane, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or discriminatory.
  • Content that violates another person’s or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights (ex: publishing another person’s full name, address or other identifying information without permission).
  • Content that is proven to be used as extortion.
  • Content that refers to an Airbnb investigation.

For full details of the review guidelines, visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/262/what-are-airbnb-s-review-guidelines

How long after I leave a review will it be published?

This depends on whether or not you have already reviewed the guest.  You and your guest have 14 days to leave a review for each other.  Once you and your guest leave a review for each other, the review is posted immediately.  If you leave a review for your guest but they do not reviewed you, your review will automatically be published after the 14 day period expires.  

I had a guest who did not seem pleased.  If I do not leave the guest a review, can his/her review show up?

Yes, if the guest provides a review for you, their review will either show up when you post your review or after the 14 day review period ends.

How can I get a guest to provide a review?

For some guests, it does not matter what you do, they will not provide a review.  It could be that they are too busy or they are not good with technology.  So besides the guests who will not review you, how do you get the rest of the guests to review you?

Well, first of all, Airbnb sends out reminders to the guests to provide a review so hopefully this prods them to review you.

The first thing I do is write my review and then I send them a message through the Airbnb messaging system thanking them for their stay.  I then paste in my review for them to read and ask them to take the time to review me.  I also mention the importance of reviews and that usually reviews are the deciding factor when prospective guests book so their review would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example:

Hi Adele,

Hope you enjoyed your stay. I just wrote you a review and would appreciate it if you could write me one as well.

“Here is what I wrote: "Although I did not get a chance to meet Adele, her communication was great.  Adele and her friend were excellent guests who left the suite in impeccable shape.  I would host Adele again and would recommend her in a heartbeat.  I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Edmonton. “

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us Adele and I hope you are feeling better.

The other thing I do is send them a reminder text message about three days before the 14 day deadline.

Can a guest who cancelled leave a review?

A guest who cancels cannot leave a review for you.  For more information, visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/368/can-i-leave-a-review-for-a-canceled-reservation

Can a guest who never showed leave a review?

Yes and No!  If a guest never shows up and does not cancel their reservation, there is no way of Airbnb knowing if the guest checked in or not.  You can still leave a review for the guest which could be something like, “Name was unable to stay during his scheduled reservation.  Throughout our transaction, he/she had great communication and I look forward to hosting this guest on any future trips”.

If a guest leaves you a negative review but never set foot in your listing, you should contact Airbnb to see if you can have the review deleted or modified to only show the guests experience such as communication since they cannot really accurately comment on the other categories.   

I have a review but I don’t see my star rating

You need to be reviewed three times before the star ratings will appear on your listing.  For more information, visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work

Can a guest who checked in and left without completing their stay leave a review

A guest who does check in and does not complete their stay can now in fact leave a review for you even if they cancel the reservation.  This is not automatically offered to them BUT they can contact Airbnb and they will provide both parties an opportunity to leave a review.

How can I see what I have received for star ratings under each category?

You can see your overall star ratings by viewing your live listing and scrolling down to your reviews at the bottom of your listing

stars.png

To get detailed reviews on star ratings from each guest, click on the “Stats” section of your account and find the “Ratings" tab.  You can then see how many stars you received in each category and it also shows you how many overall stars each guest gave you.  You can also use the dropdown menu to filter by the number of stars.  If the guest provided private feedback, you can see it in their section as well.

1.png

What can I do if someone leaves a negative review that is untrue?

Airbnb states, “Our community relies on honest, transparent reviews. We will remove or alter a review if we find that it violates our review guidelines.”

Become familiar with the review guidelines and if the guest violates any of these, contact Airbnb and see if they will remove the review.  They may remove a part of the review or the entire review.  I believe it is important to keep all communication through the Airbnb messaging system so if I find myself in this situation, I can back it up with messages to or from the guest.  

The more information you have to back up the false review, the better chance of having the review deleted or modified.  Also see below on how to respond to a bad review left by a guest.

How do I leave a review for a bad guest or respond to a bad review left by a guest?

Please visit Deborah's great article that covers this at the GlobalHosting Forum & Blog: “How to write a review for a bad guest (or respond to review)” .  While your there, take a few minutes and sign up as there is a wealth of information and a go to place for experienced hosts (and it's FREE)

What if I made a mistake on a review?

If you make a mistake like spelling a name wrong or mentioning that the guests were a couple when they were not, it is best to contact Airbnb and see if they can edit the review for you.  Some hosts have had success with this while others have not.  It really comes down to what type of editing you need done and which customer service agent handles your phone call.  My advice is to proofread your review three times before submitting it.

Can I respond to a review?

Airbnb provides a chance for you to respond to a review that was written about you BUT you only have 14 days to leave the response.  Also note that once you submit your response, it is applied immediately and cannot be edited so ensure you have proofread your response before submitting it.  For more information on responses to reviews, visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/367/can-i-reply-to-a-review

A common thing I see on the Community Center is hosts complaining about receiving a negative review from a guest and they then provide a lengthy response to that review often in an argumentative response.  If hosts are responding to a negative review, I encourage sticking to the facts and make it brief.  Often times the guest leaves quite a good review and by responding to the negatives, they are making the issue bigger than it may be for any future prospective guest to see.  If you are brief and don’t harp on the negative, the review will likely be buried in short time.  Let your great reviews speak for you!

One other note, if a guest provides negative private feedback, DO NOT respond to this in your response to a review as this will then make that issue public for prospective guests to see.

Can I leave a response to a response?

No!  Once you write your review and a guest responds, that is the end of the discussion.  You cannot respond to a response.   

I have people stay with me but not through Airbnb.  Can they provide me a review?

People who have stayed with you outside of Airbnb cannot provide you with a review BUT they can provide you with a reference.  For more information, check out this Help Guide: References

Can I transfer reviews from another site to Airbnb?

No but if you have your guests as friends on Facebook, you can have them provide a reference for you.  For more information, check out this Help Guide: References

Can I transfer my reviews to another account?

Some people have sold their house or want to transfer their reviews to another account.  Although reviews are about a particular listing, they are not tied to that listing but to your account.  If you sell your house or want someone else to run your listing for you, they would need to create their own account and make a new listing.  If you want someone to run your listing for you but keep your reviews, you would need to add them as co-hosts.

How can I respond to private feedback that a guest provided?

Guests have an opportunity to provide private feedback which will not be displayed in the review.  You cannot respond to this feedback through the review process but you can respond to it using the Airbnb messaging system.

If I delete a listing, will I lose my reviews?

You will not lose your reviews if you delete a listing as the reviews are tied to your account.  Airbnb states, “Past reviews of your listing will remain on your public profile—they cannot be removed.”  For more information on deleting your listing, you can check out this Help Guide: Delete A Listing(Deactivate)

I have an automated review that says, “The host cancelled this reservation __ days before arrival.  This is an automated posting.”  Why is that there and how can I get it removed?

This automated review is placed on your account because you likely cancelled on a guest and this is one of the penalties for cancelling on a guest.  To see other penalties for cancelling on a guest, visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

You can contact Airbnb to see about the possibility of getting the review removed but this is usually for extenuating circumstances

Can I edit a review?

Yes and no.  When you write a review, you have 48 hours to edit your review UNLESS the guest has already written a review, a guest writes a review during the 48 hours editing time or the 14 day review period ends.  If you are wanting to edit a review that is already published, you could contact Airbnb and see if they will edit the review you wrote but this is very unlikely unless it is a spelling error.

What happens if the hosts or guest misses the 14 day deadline?

After 14 days, all reviews written will be published and you have lost the opportunity to provide a review.

What if I do not receive an email or notification to review a guest?

If you do not receive an email or notification to review a guest, contact Airbnb and they can usually fix this issue.  There have been some reports of some people being notified a couple days after checkout.

Will I be notified when a guest writes a review?

Yes, when a guest (or host) writes a review, the other party is emailed and prompted to write a review in order to see what the other person wrote.

My guest has not written a review yet.  What can I do?

You could write the guest a nice reminder and explain that this is imprtant to you but Airbnb does sent reminder emails all the way up to the deadline asking the guest to leave a review.

Why are my review no longer in order?

At the time I write this, Airbnb has changed the way reviews are shown and this depends on the language the review is written in and the location the guest is viewing the property from.  If I am in Canada and I am looking at a listing in the United States, the reviews for that listing that are written from Canadians will be shown to me first followed by some other countries and then the remaining reviews from the US.  Language is also shown differently.  If I am looking at a listing in France from Canada and I am English, I will see the review in English first.  But if I am from France and looking at a listing in Canada, French reviews will be shown first followed by English.

Will my reviews disappear after a certain amount of time?

As long as you have an Airbnb account, your reviews will remain.  If you remove a listing, the reviews are still attached to your profile.

How much time exactly do I have to leave a review?

You have exactly 14 days from the checkout time stated in your listing to leave a review.  So essentially 336 hours from the checkout time.  So if your checkout time on your listing is 11am, you have 336 hours from 11 am to leave a review.  Many times Airbnb will state that you have until X day to leave a review and many believe it is up till midnight of that date but not so.  

I would like to leave you with one tip that I actually wish all hosts did.  As host, our star ratings are shwon to all guests wanting to book.  Airbnb does not share the star ratings of guests so I now put these ratings in my reviews of guests.  Here is and example:

"It was a pleasure hosting Leila and her family during their stay with us. They were easy to communicate with, left the suite tidy and were overall fantastic guests. Without question, we would host Leila and her family again and highly recommend them to other Airbnb hosts! Cleanliness ★★★★★ Communication ★★★★★ Observance of House Rules ★★★★★"

This is quite easy to do and I believe this is great for hosts who may receive inquiries from guests who stayed at my listing, especially if they were not great guests.  We all need to work together!

If you have any other questions, tips, comments, or suggestions regarding reviews, please respond below and share with others.  When I update this post, I will ensure to include your questions in the next round.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

12 Replies 12
Susan612
Level 8
United States

I would like to comment however the last comment went unanswered. Is this post still active? 

John_Cheryl0
Level 1
Flagstaff, AZ

I can't tell whether my reviews for guests are going out. I have written a review for 6 guests so far, and tried to do all the steps correctly, but I continue to get email and app reminders to write reviews for spme of them days and up to a week later. When I check the guest's profiles, I see ny review for 2 of the 6 (who are also the only ones who wrote a review for me).  The previous Community Help Guide mentioned a place on my profile where I could see what I had written, but I can't find that location on the current app. Is there somewhere on my profile that confirms whether I have sent a guest review or not?

Helen328
Level 1
Hachan, France

Why are reviews closed after 14 days? What is the logic?

you have a lot of Airbnb angry hosts and guests out there

why not address the issue and deal with the complaints....please?

Julienne6
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

In your next update, would you mind addressing the issue of public response to the review. I didn't realise that could be done and seem to have missed out on making a pubic response to earlier reviews, it would be great to have guidance on the timing of this and whether it is a worthwhile thing to do. Thanks!

Michele408
Level 2
Malibu, CA

Hi, I'm new to the community & this is my first post (I hope it's in the right spot). We had guests who were arrested for a violent crime during their stay with us, left their dog here for days etc. police, Airbnb were involved. Guest left a bad review & Airbnb took it down, but said they cannot remove a star rating, only the review. Because we are new, it plummeted our rating (all others were 5 stars and this guest was 1).  How could Airbnb remove inappropriate review & hurt my listing by keeping 1 star on my listing?  The guests continue to threaten my adult children, yet Airbnb has also removed my review of this dangerous guest, and allows them to continue to book on Airbnb. Guest left a bad review 

Hi Michelle , I understand that Stars are worth ONLY for 1 year! So after 1 year that 1 star that is bringing your average down will no longer be taken in consideration for your Star Average!!! 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Being fairly new to ABB, I really appreciate your suggestion to include a home-made "star" rating hosts manually add to thier reviews of guests to give other hosts a "head's up."  Based on previous advice, we are required to be exceedgly diplomatic to aviod penalties by ABB and, since so many of us rely on previous reviews to screen guests for a positive fit, we also need to rely on accurate but professional community communication, because sooner or later, we will come face to face with a guest who challenges the good will promoted here.

I'm blessed to have enjoyed 99.99% positive experiences hosting and am interested in other suggestions as well.

Thank you for this great community.

Lucrecia2
Level 4
Guatemala

Hi Dave and Deb, thankyou very much for all this useful info you shared. I am a little worried because lately I have been receiving 4 stars in location , value and overall experience . Dissapointed because some like the last one asked me to charge her extra because her sister that was dying needed to be plug 24 hours for 3 days , I told her “I would not charge her extra” and she gave me 4 stars in VALUE!!!

I love the part where you say , not to respind public to a bad review !!! I did it and I really regret my long commentary!

actually a guest can infact leave a false review that doesn't reflect his reservation. For example; guest rents a unit at 50$ a night - Guest can leave in the review that he paid 150$/night and regardless of the factual proof in the reservation details, AirBnB considers this an "interpretation" or simply not enough to take the review down.

Something that is remarkable and should be learned. Thank you for providing this great information. mapquest driving directions

Had to call in the police to remove a group more than 3 x times the booked number, plus other other problems,  refusing to rectify situation & threatening to throw me out physically.  Airbnb are aware of the situation, still pushing for a review but not communicating  to me what is happening. I need advice on what to say in this situation.

Scotty14
Level 2
La Vergne, TN

a host did not confirm my reservation within the 24 hour period. they did not give me a reason as to why not. they did not give me any heads up that they would not approve it. i missed out on other rentals because of this. is there a way to leave a review so other potential renters are aware of this behavior of the said host?