How to get more bookings on Airbnb?

Answered!
Jennifer4
Level 10
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

How to get more bookings on Airbnb?

Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I am an Airbnb Host for almost two years at this time. I have rented to hundreds of clients and have been a Superhost for over one year. In the beginning I didn't get that many bookings, however currently I am 90% fully booked every single month.

This is what I did, to get more bookings per month:

1. Great pictures

In the beginning when I didn’t receive reservations I had pictures made with my mobile phone, they weren’t that great so I changed them. I learned that people are attracted by great pictures. I mean, ask yourself this question. Would I stay in my own place just looking at the pictures I currently have on Airbnb­?

I paid a professional photographer to make great pictures of everything my apartment, the building and the neighborhood have to offer. I have uploaded over 20 pictures per apartment and assured that all important details are being shown, this way my guests now exactly what they’re going to find without even reading the description.

1. Great Descriptions

When writing your property description be as clear and specific as possible, assure that all small details are inserted so potential guests won’t have to send you emails asking for details. It is also very important that your description is attractive to read, and makes the guest feel like they want to stay in your apartment. Once writing a great description about your property, the building, neighborhood etc. Assure that you adjust it into different languages if possible. Most of my current guests are from the United States, therefore I have my descriptions both in English and Spanish.

Another detail is spelling, try to avoid spelling mistakes as this will look unprofessional.

1. Guest Communication

Once your profile has been setup correct, you will see that the first requests and reservations will come in soon. A great way to stay up to date with what is happening and to respond in a timely manner is to download the Airbnb mobile app. I use this on a daily base to stay up to date, as I will receive a text message each time I have a reservation or request I am able to respond quicker. Assume that guests may write several properties, your timely respond is key to be able to get the reservation.

When responding to guests try to respond in a friendly and professional way, in their own language if possible and respond as quickly as possible.

1. Guest stay

After having a complete profile and receiving your reservations, key is to give them a great experience. I always try to overachieve their expectations as this will result in happy guests, great reviews, returning guests and even more guests because of the great reviews.

This is what I am doing: try to make people feel welcome in your accommodation. When a person comes to your place assure a great check-in. Confirm arrival time, who is going to check them in, address details or maybe transportation. Try to surprise them by adding something personal from the Dominican Republic, a personal welcome letter, sweets or a bottle of wine could make a big difference in their first impression.

During the stay keep in contact with your guest to verify that everything is going perfect, be there for them. When checking-out make them feel welcome back and always try to receive as much feedback as possible to improve. Assure your write a constructive review, so they will write you a review back.

1. Prices

Having competitive prices is key. Just take a look around on Airbnb to similar properties in your area who are highly ranked in the search, try to match their rates. Once you have a great profile and good reviews you could eventually higher the price when you are getting enough reservations to fill up the whole month.

Also keep in my mind that you offer specific prices per day, week and month. The longer a guest stays often the better the rate should be to be competitive in the market. Also keep in mind that prices may vary regarding the season. In the Dominican Republic, winter is in most places high season and summer low season. It is advisable to adjust your prices accordingly.

1. Availability

Try to keep your calendar up to date so you won’t have to tell potential guests that your property is already booked. To get more reservations you can turn on direct reservations, in this case people could book directly without having to request if the apartment is available first.

I hope that the above advice helps you to get more reservations. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask me. 

Saludos,

Jennifer

Please find my properties here: [link removed]

Santo Domingo Elegant Apartment

4 Best Answers
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennifer4,

This is a great guide! Thanks so much for sharing :). 

We have now added it to our list of Community Help Guides!

Kirstie

View Best Answer in original post

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Jennifer4

Good post and great advice! I feel that you have build a stellar reputation on Airbnb with over 100 reviews. If I was a guest, I wouldn't even think once before booking with you. 

I host in Toronto, where Airbnb is a fierce market and highly seasonal due to the four seasons that we see each year. Its tough to keep higher occupancy in the winter months. Also, if you a new host who is learning and building a reputation on the platform than things are more difficult. In addition to the points you mentioned, I would suggest that:

1. Know your guests - Airbnb is a business and in any business you have to know who your customer is. The more specific you are, the better you will get at pricing, guest satisfaction and anticipating problems that guests will eventually bring to your attention.

2. Listing description - once you know your guests, decorate your space keeping the preferred guests in mind. Write the desciption so that it appeals to that segment.

3. Contantly upgrade your property - set asisde a budget to put money on your listing. If you want to remain competitive and earn good reviews, then you have to regularly improve your offering so that the next guest is happier than the previous one.

Regards,

Casadell 

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your great word. I am very happy to learn about your sharing.

Hope to hear more your experience.

Best Regards,

Hung

旬子0
Level 2
Kyoto, Japan

you are colossal,stupendous . This talk is  a big impact  for me  . I feel  like stayin with you as a guest.  

164 Replies 164
Peggy19
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you Jennifer, I appreciate all you wrote, I have been hosting for over 2 years now and it has been great!!

Sandris0
Level 2
Genoa, Italy

Very helpful, thank you very much.

Kind regards from Sandris

Antonija9
Level 2
Rijeka, Croatia

Hello!
I have two apartments for rent in Croatia. One is in Rijeka and other in Kraljevica. For both I started the same and  I don't understand why I dont have any inquiries or reservations in Kraljevica (https://hr.airbnb.com/rooms/32785477?s=51) , while in Rijeka I'm working great (https://hr.airbnb.com/rooms/32149179?s=51). I really need help with improveing visability and get more guests.
I managed all and have channel manager, so there is always  updated calenders.

Please help!

Antonija 

Sam523
Level 2
Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia

My name is Sam,Living in Siem Reap,If anyone come to Siem Reap please stay at my home 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/26638084

I agree, just starting to rent my Villa in The a Philippines...all inquiries no confirmed bookings. Why?????

Fate1
Level 2
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Hiii

I want to know how to print the reservation

LindaLee1
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi Jennifer

@Jennifer4 I am fairly new to hosting. I have my 6th guest as I write. I appreciate you comments. I agree that professional photos show well. I will do it once the weather improves and I have the landscaper for the yard.

Your properties are stunningly beautiful.

Thank you.

Lourdes174
Level 1
Mandaluyong, Philippines

That's awesome thanks for the tip. I learned do much from you. 

Anne1036
Level 5
Ballinakill, Ireland

Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to create this post, the information contained in it is very helpful. Wishing you every success with your future hosting.

Jorge638
Level 3
Setúbal Municipality, Portugal

Olá Jennifer

Agradeço as tuas boas dicas!

Felicidades

Handy1
Level 2
Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Indonesia

Good evening, my name is Handy. I am sorry to disturb. I would like to offer my services. I provided customer services to help host like you improving services to customer. I can provide in 3 languages China, Japan and English. If you are interested, please contact handysurya2303@gmail.com

Maudlin0
Level 2
Saint Georges, Grenada

Pleasant morning, I would love help, would contact you later.

Thanks.

Thank you very helpful 

Sayny0
Level 2
Suva, Fiji

@Jennifer4,Great to learn some very important tips from your post. Good Luck

Thank you for your helpfull posting. It is really useful for a news host like me