How to get more bookings on Airbnb?

Answered!
Jennifer4
Level 10
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

How to get more bookings on Airbnb?

Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I am an Airbnb Host for almost two years at this time. I have rented to hundreds of clients and have been a Superhost for over one year. In the beginning I didn't get that many bookings, however currently I am 90% fully booked every single month.

This is what I did, to get more bookings per month:

1. Great pictures

In the beginning when I didn’t receive reservations I had pictures made with my mobile phone, they weren’t that great so I changed them. I learned that people are attracted by great pictures. I mean, ask yourself this question. Would I stay in my own place just looking at the pictures I currently have on Airbnb­?

I paid a professional photographer to make great pictures of everything my apartment, the building and the neighborhood have to offer. I have uploaded over 20 pictures per apartment and assured that all important details are being shown, this way my guests now exactly what they’re going to find without even reading the description.

1. Great Descriptions

When writing your property description be as clear and specific as possible, assure that all small details are inserted so potential guests won’t have to send you emails asking for details. It is also very important that your description is attractive to read, and makes the guest feel like they want to stay in your apartment. Once writing a great description about your property, the building, neighborhood etc. Assure that you adjust it into different languages if possible. Most of my current guests are from the United States, therefore I have my descriptions both in English and Spanish.

Another detail is spelling, try to avoid spelling mistakes as this will look unprofessional.

1. Guest Communication

Once your profile has been setup correct, you will see that the first requests and reservations will come in soon. A great way to stay up to date with what is happening and to respond in a timely manner is to download the Airbnb mobile app. I use this on a daily base to stay up to date, as I will receive a text message each time I have a reservation or request I am able to respond quicker. Assume that guests may write several properties, your timely respond is key to be able to get the reservation.

When responding to guests try to respond in a friendly and professional way, in their own language if possible and respond as quickly as possible.

1. Guest stay

After having a complete profile and receiving your reservations, key is to give them a great experience. I always try to overachieve their expectations as this will result in happy guests, great reviews, returning guests and even more guests because of the great reviews.

This is what I am doing: try to make people feel welcome in your accommodation. When a person comes to your place assure a great check-in. Confirm arrival time, who is going to check them in, address details or maybe transportation. Try to surprise them by adding something personal from the Dominican Republic, a personal welcome letter, sweets or a bottle of wine could make a big difference in their first impression.

During the stay keep in contact with your guest to verify that everything is going perfect, be there for them. When checking-out make them feel welcome back and always try to receive as much feedback as possible to improve. Assure your write a constructive review, so they will write you a review back.

1. Prices

Having competitive prices is key. Just take a look around on Airbnb to similar properties in your area who are highly ranked in the search, try to match their rates. Once you have a great profile and good reviews you could eventually higher the price when you are getting enough reservations to fill up the whole month.

Also keep in my mind that you offer specific prices per day, week and month. The longer a guest stays often the better the rate should be to be competitive in the market. Also keep in mind that prices may vary regarding the season. In the Dominican Republic, winter is in most places high season and summer low season. It is advisable to adjust your prices accordingly.

1. Availability

Try to keep your calendar up to date so you won’t have to tell potential guests that your property is already booked. To get more reservations you can turn on direct reservations, in this case people could book directly without having to request if the apartment is available first.

I hope that the above advice helps you to get more reservations. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask me. 

Saludos,

Jennifer

Please find my properties here: [link removed]

Santo Domingo Elegant Apartment

4 Best Answers
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennifer4,

This is a great guide! Thanks so much for sharing :). 

We have now added it to our list of Community Help Guides!

Kirstie

View Best Answer in original post

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Jennifer4

Good post and great advice! I feel that you have build a stellar reputation on Airbnb with over 100 reviews. If I was a guest, I wouldn't even think once before booking with you. 

I host in Toronto, where Airbnb is a fierce market and highly seasonal due to the four seasons that we see each year. Its tough to keep higher occupancy in the winter months. Also, if you a new host who is learning and building a reputation on the platform than things are more difficult. In addition to the points you mentioned, I would suggest that:

1. Know your guests - Airbnb is a business and in any business you have to know who your customer is. The more specific you are, the better you will get at pricing, guest satisfaction and anticipating problems that guests will eventually bring to your attention.

2. Listing description - once you know your guests, decorate your space keeping the preferred guests in mind. Write the desciption so that it appeals to that segment.

3. Contantly upgrade your property - set asisde a budget to put money on your listing. If you want to remain competitive and earn good reviews, then you have to regularly improve your offering so that the next guest is happier than the previous one.

Regards,

Casadell 

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your great word. I am very happy to learn about your sharing.

Hope to hear more your experience.

Best Regards,

Hung

旬子0
Level 2
Kyoto, Japan

you are colossal,stupendous . This talk is  a big impact  for me  . I feel  like stayin with you as a guest.  

164 Replies 164
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@April3

I think I am the same as you in that I would look at lots of listings until I was sure I'd found the best option and read through the descriptions very carefully just in case. It's true many guests are not like that.

Of course, come and stay when you visit London! My kitties are very friendly and love the extra attention they get from the guests 🙂

14409486_10153714069581883_1899871780358267405_o.jpg

April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

what a beauty queen! or king 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

She's a princess actually! Total princess...

Anton59
Level 2
Sri Lanka

Thanks for giving this valuable ideas to improve and increase the potential of our hosting 

Appreciate your genuine advise

AnaMilena3
Level 2
Quindio, Colombia

In Colombia Southamerica AirBnB can not make the payments due to problems with paypal. The national bank, in this case DAVIVIENDA has many requirements to make effective the transaction. They said that only pay for extrangers in the country. Local customers are out of the monetization. That implies losses for owners in Colombia. It is sad that Air Bnb dont inform the people in Colombia about it. How do you explain the you have customers in your place and you can not get the payment????

Sofia213
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hello everyone, 

great to have an opportunity to read the tips and advices mentioned above. I am a newcomer on airnbn family. I thinks I did almost everything that should increased booking but I think that I am failed and I do not think that pictures are the most reason of it. From my point of view it should be some tools to boost you property as social network like Facebook does. 

thanks

Jennifer4
Level 10
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@Sofia189 If you have you have applied all tips and filled out your complete Airbnb profile then it might be worth it having an Airbnb Consulting agency taking a look at your local market, property listing and opportunities to improve. I have used Rentals Marketing for some of my listings. They provide helpful insights which increased revenue 🙂

@Sofia213Hello I looked at your two places and I don't understand WHY you book so cheap - 5 people can stay for $35 - do you ONLY book for a week at a time? that's what your listings are showing. If your place is the best it can NOT be $35. It looks so neat and clean - just because it is suggested to book cheap at first that is too cheap and you will get people that might not appreciate your rooms. Maybe I am not understanding your listing and all it is about but looks like something isn't right.???? Just my thoughts on it. Happy Hosting, Clara

@Clara116 Hello, Thanks a lot for your thoughts and feedback. I deeply appreciate it. I am a new commer on bnb and I am really disappointed and lost in labyrinth  of BNB. Evere time bnb suggests to rent cheeper and my prices seems to be unwise...  so, I make it cheeper but still waiting for bookings. At the same time, I could not understand how bnb SEO works and how can I boos my listings 😕 

@Sofia213 Hi - just because they suggest lower prices - DO NOT do it - I think renting for 7 days minimum is limiting your bookings for sure - some guest want to stay 6 - or 4 nights - you could say 3 nights but 7 seems too long that is just me. Also, first RAISE your prices - or make it so the first person is $35 and for each person after that it is $7 to $10  more per person per night - IF things are too cheap some people are afraid to book - that is what I think.  Plus when so cheap you encourage a big group that want to party down and loose respect. The SEO works many ways and if you are IB instant booking??? it is also different. Keep me posted. I will look further and search your listing and see what I see.

Happy Hosting, Clara

@Sofia213Hi again, I couldn't find your listing by search - you write it is private room - but call it apartment - that is very important for folks - are they having to share space with others???? 

Also, I would redo the photos - with what you have I would use them like this # 10, 8, 5, 2, 11, 9 and throw out the rest..... I would retake the living room with those colorful pillows purple - Add some flowers on the table for color - they can be fake ones...... needs color - I would always close the toilet lid when photographing it. And NO repeat photos. 

Also, lots of people list like you at $35 or 30 but when you go to book it is 65 - so if you have some days at 35 and lots more at 65 the listing will show starts at 35 and you will get more views. Also IMPORTANT -  in title ...... NEW good luck. Happy Hosting, Clara

Wallace4
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Wow! This is so helpful thank you so much for sharing. Totally makes sense and I can see good potential of success as a host. Thank you

Damjan0
Level 2
BG, Serbia

Hello. I saw good tips, but it seems to me that I have all of it, and still not so many bookings. I have 3 apartments, how could I increase bookings, as this is the only income that I do for life. Thanks,

Kind Regards

Jasna12
Level 2
Tivat, Montenegro

Hello, I was following all recommended items for improvement appearing on this web site but unsuccesfull.We have registered on AirBnb since 2016 with four and since last year eight luxury apartments.2016 only 5 groups of guests and 2017 three groups of guests.What I have to do mpre??

Sonam4
Level 2
Kathmandu, Nepal

Dear Jennifer,

This is super guide line & one of the most Valuable tips that you shared with us.  Thank you very  much !