Preparation Time: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Preparation Time: A Community Help Guide [UPDATE]

***NOTE: This Help Guide has been created using the new layout so if you have a different layout, please visit https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Preparation-Time-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/44024#M2125

I have seen this question come up a few times on the Community Center so I created another Community Help Guide on this topic.  Many people need time to clean their unit so you have an option to have "preparation time" before and after your bookings.  Now, I really wish Airbnb would add two more options which would include 1 day before only and one day after only.  In order to have that now, you need to manually block those dates off in your calendar.

Automatic Blocking for Preparation Time

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listings" and then choose the listing you wish to add the preparation time to.

1.png

Step 2: Go to the "Availability" tab and then in the "Reservation prefences" section choose "Edit".

1.png

Step 3: Choose one of the options from the "Preparation time" dropdown box and then choose "Save"

2.png

Here is what each option does to your calendar:

Block one night before and after each reservation

1nbeforeafter1.png

Block two nights before and after each reservation

2nbeforeafter1.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

4 Replies 4
Matthew310
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Hello,

I noticed that AirBnB updated this conversation to a new format, but it has lost the important conversation thread.  So, to recap, AirBnB really needs to expand their prep time options to include a Day Before option as well as a Day After option.  As is, you may only select a Day Before AND Day After option which really cuts down days that could be used.  Many people just want the time from checkout one day to checkin the next day (Preptime: Day After option that does not exist), but the current option also blocks an entire day before the next booking can occur, which can really cause a large chunk of days to be missed.  The only way to do this currently is to manually block the night after a current booking leaves, but that is not effecient as you may have already booked the day you would need to manually block once another guest books up to that date.  

Probably didn't wax as eloquently there as I could have, but does AIrBnB have any plans to include further prep time options?  Seems like an easy add.

Up vote - sounds sensible to me

Philip1969
Level 1
Kaneohe, HI

It would be great also if hosts could have the option to block of half days before check-in and half days after check-out. This would eliminate having to block off a full day for preparation time if a host couldn't do a check-out, clean, and check-in on the same day.

Pratish0
Level 2
Kannur, India

I am very new here, waiting for my first booking on Airbnb. What i have done now is keep a 2 hour gap between the check in and check out time so that there is enough time to clean the room between bookings. is this a good approach to have some preparation time?