Advice: I'm being accused of stealing items from airbnb I DID NOT steal anything

Answered!
Lucy652
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Advice: I'm being accused of stealing items from airbnb I DID NOT steal anything

Writing to ask about folks who have similar experiences. I recently stayed at an airbnb. It was lovely. I was barely there and only used it to sleep at night. Upon return, I was horrified to get an email asking me to pay for two items claimed to be missing. One is an item that I was accused of replacing-- a down comforter that I apparently replaced with a synthetic one. and a plant outside the apartment. I did not steal these items. I certainly didn't go through the trouble of stealing one kind of comforter and replace it with another one. (if it matters, I live in CA where it is 100-110 degree right now. And I am a middle-aged person of color, with a professional job, with plants I barely look at. And no stealing fetish). 

Since Airbnb seems to be a business that favors the property owner, this I understand quite clearly and sympathize with (which stands to reason that I would not even fantasize stealing anything), what are the outcomes of these disputes? I can't prove that the property owner is lying (how do I know what comforter they had? how do I know these items were not stolen when I left?). I'm not interested in belaboring this. And to be honest, this will probably make me not utilize Airbnb ever again as I feel that there is no safeguard for the accused in these situations.

It's a bit of a shame as it was otherwise an unremarkable, uneventful stay at a nice location.

Hoping some of you can share your experiences. thank you.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy652  It's curious thing- guests tend to think that Airbnb is more solicitous of hosts, but hosts have the opposite experience- that the guest always gets what they want. The reality is that Airbnb's application of policies are wildly inconsistent and the outcome of an issue can totally depend on the customer service rep who is dealing with it.

But let's not pit hosts and guests against each other- we aren't enemies- hosts offer accommodation so guests have somewhere to stay, and guests pay hosts for that. It's a symbiotic relationship. And in the majority of cases, neither host nor guest experience any problems and sometimes it even leads to new friendships.

First of all, a host generally has to provide some proof to Airbnb, if the guest claims not to be at fault. I'm not sure if a host could prove that the comforter was different or that there was a missing or replaced plant.

Have you messaged the host back about this? If not, that's where I'd start. Just state the facts- that you had a nice stay at their place, that the place is lovely and that you're quite shocked at being accused of stealing things, because that isn't the kind of person you are. Ask them if the place was inventoried before you arrived and if it's possible that the cleaner didn't notice that the comforter was different (since it's not being used in this weather anyway) or that the plant was missing or changed, and that the previous guests might have been responsible? In other words, take the high, calm road at this point rather than being angry or defensive.

See where that leads. If the host responds nastily, stop communicating with them and wait to see if this actually goes anywhere, which it very well may not. If Airbnb contacts you, just tell them the truth.

BTW, your age, your race, or your profession are really immaterial. There are wonderful people of all ages, races and professions who would never dream of stealing anything, and those who do steal. Plenty of hosts have had doctors and lawyers stay who definitely damaged things and left a mess behind them and denied all responsibility, and plenty of hosts have had backpacking hippies who were lovely, respectful guests. It's character and upbringing that determine how someone behaves, not those other things.

And the same goes for hosts- the vast majority of hosts would never accuse a guest of anything they weren't 100% sure the guest was responsible for, but there are a few hosts out there who either jump to conclusions without considering another explanation, or are outright scammers. Hopefully this is a case of the host jumping to conclusions that aren't true and it all works out okay for you.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy652  It's curious thing- guests tend to think that Airbnb is more solicitous of hosts, but hosts have the opposite experience- that the guest always gets what they want. The reality is that Airbnb's application of policies are wildly inconsistent and the outcome of an issue can totally depend on the customer service rep who is dealing with it.

But let's not pit hosts and guests against each other- we aren't enemies- hosts offer accommodation so guests have somewhere to stay, and guests pay hosts for that. It's a symbiotic relationship. And in the majority of cases, neither host nor guest experience any problems and sometimes it even leads to new friendships.

First of all, a host generally has to provide some proof to Airbnb, if the guest claims not to be at fault. I'm not sure if a host could prove that the comforter was different or that there was a missing or replaced plant.

Have you messaged the host back about this? If not, that's where I'd start. Just state the facts- that you had a nice stay at their place, that the place is lovely and that you're quite shocked at being accused of stealing things, because that isn't the kind of person you are. Ask them if the place was inventoried before you arrived and if it's possible that the cleaner didn't notice that the comforter was different (since it's not being used in this weather anyway) or that the plant was missing or changed, and that the previous guests might have been responsible? In other words, take the high, calm road at this point rather than being angry or defensive.

See where that leads. If the host responds nastily, stop communicating with them and wait to see if this actually goes anywhere, which it very well may not. If Airbnb contacts you, just tell them the truth.

BTW, your age, your race, or your profession are really immaterial. There are wonderful people of all ages, races and professions who would never dream of stealing anything, and those who do steal. Plenty of hosts have had doctors and lawyers stay who definitely damaged things and left a mess behind them and denied all responsibility, and plenty of hosts have had backpacking hippies who were lovely, respectful guests. It's character and upbringing that determine how someone behaves, not those other things.

And the same goes for hosts- the vast majority of hosts would never accuse a guest of anything they weren't 100% sure the guest was responsible for, but there are a few hosts out there who either jump to conclusions without considering another explanation, or are outright scammers. Hopefully this is a case of the host jumping to conclusions that aren't true and it all works out okay for you.

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello. 
I would ask the host if they had photos of the plant or the comforter. Would they have a receipt for the comforter that states the brand?

Also, when was the last time they physically saw both items? Was there a guest or a cleaning service in between the time they saw these items ……..or between the time you came to stay there? 

Sandy843
Level 1
Sun City, AZ

I was also accused of stealing from a Airbnb. The Host contacted me 2 days after I left and said I took her power drill and power saw plus the battery's . She kept harassing me about it, I contacted Airbnb to let them know, I also told them she has camera inside plus ring door bell  at both doors, and to have her review her cameras because i didn't take anything I walked out with the same tote bag I walked in with. I just wonder how many other people she tries to do this too, she wanted me to send her $350.00 .  Airbnb got involved and next thing I know I get a message saying case closed. I have been using Airbnb for over 5 years and have never had a problem until just last week, when I stayed in Colorado Springs.

I-Esha0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I’m currently going through this now. I left the apartment and turned in my key to the group of individuals at the office, per the host instructions, and left. Forty minutes later the host sent a message saying thank and leave 5 stars. Twenty-six hours later, I’m being accused of stealing.

I DID NOT steal anything from this roach infested apartment. It’s why I didn’t even leave a review, because it wouldn’t have been great. I even noticed the host the place didn’t have a microwave, she responded as if she didn’t even know. 

I believe host are scamming people. I am willing to go through whatever legal matter to prove I’m innocent. I’m definitely on standby to contact a lawyer for being wrongfully accused.