Advice on fair compensation for door handle screw coming out right as they opened door at arrival

Cynthia--Cindy-1
Level 1
Painted Post, NY

Advice on fair compensation for door handle screw coming out right as they opened door at arrival

I have been host since 2018 and Superhost since it was possible throughout as well. I have had such a good overall experience that I have never reached out here. 

When my guests arrived and unlocked the keypad the door opened, however, the screw on other side came out that caused handle to detach and hang loose from door. The guest contacted me immediately with photo but also made it clear they were “freaking out” with first impression as well as didn’t feel they or their things were safe without the door functioning. I could not have known this screw was faulty but I had ordered and have a replacement door handle system because it was far too bulky and often the battery cover would pop off if you slammed the door too hard.

I went up and replaced the screw once they were settled in and taped it in place to ensure it was fully functioning but not pretty. I feel like I want to give some compensation for the inconvenience and anxiety and the impression it left even if function was restored to repair the issue. 

They didn’t ask for refund but made it clear they aren’t happy with what they got for their money. Out of $140 of total I receive…I want advice on good faith amount to send. 

1 Reply 1
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Cynthia--Cindy-1  The door breaking isn't your fault, it's wear and tear and these things happen. 

Do you know what your actual profit is per night? do NOT give them more than that and lose money over this issue, especially as you suspect they are already acting unhappy, perhaps they want the whole night refunded.  If you feel you want to offer some small compensation then don't go over 20% of your nightly rate, especially as you rectified the issue. you might get a bad review, you can weather that. I also recommend NOT getting CS involved.