Airbnb allowed an 18 year to rent my entire house- which led to a house party of underage kids. What’s my recourse?

Andrea358
Level 2
Boston, MA

Airbnb allowed an 18 year to rent my entire house- which led to a house party of underage kids. What’s my recourse?

Title says it all, but I’ve been reading on Airbnb site that they are restricting entire house rentals for 25+ year olds with at least 3 good review and 0 bad reviews. The one stipulation is they must be local. 

ok, so I had a child rent out my house (I of course did not know this, since I can’t see their age). They were clearly local, since all their friends drove to the house to party. Some of the kids got picked up from their parents the next day…no joke. 

so how did this happen? How did Airbnb allow an 18 year old to rent my house? They damaged the place and it’s costing me way more than the rent I got from these hooligans. 

of course Airbnb is essentially ignoring me. They’ve claimed to “escalate” the situation and do further “investigation”, but yet, haven’t heard anything from them since 10am today (it’s 8pm). No one could explain to me how this happened. 

anyone else experience this situation?

7 Replies 7
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Andrea358,

It does sound like this guest was somehow able to slip through Airbnb's party sniffer policy.  Airbnb provides no guarantee that their screening process will always work, nor do they state any compensation will be offered to hosts when they fail to prevent high risk bookings.  At this point, I think the only response you will receive is a script apology and instructions to submit an AirCover claim.

We have IB enabled, but have not experienced any unauthorized parties or rentals by young locals.  Our booking settings are different than what you have in place:

- A minimum two advance notice for bookings.  One of your listings allow one night stays.

- All listings have at least a two night minimum requirement.  At least one of your listings allows same day bookings.

In the US it is required that guests be 25 years old to rent an entire house, so it wasn’t just “not passing the party sniffer test”, they straight up violated policy. 

Example: let’s say, for example Airbnb claims they do criminal background checks and doesn’t allow anyone with a record in the community. You and I as hosts, take Airbnb for they word and make decision based on the service they provide- a criminal background check. Well let’s say, we trust they do this and therefore forgo our own background checks before accepting a booking and then it turns out the guest had a criminal record.  That’s a violation of terms and service. 

so again, my question is- what’s my recourse? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Andrea358,

According to the Airbnb post that I shared with you in my previous message (click the link), there are exceptions that allow guests less than 25 y.o. to book local entire place listings.  It acknowledges that there will be some folks who find a workaround to their policy, and Airbnb mentions no recourse for when this does occur.

Please share the link if you've read an official Airbnb post that states something differently, because it will be helpful for all of us.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I would suggest your recourse is to;

1. Vet your guests carefully and ask for copies of their ID. What vetting questions do you ask when guests book your place? Was it not a red flag for you to have a local booking your listing?

2. Have CCTV at your property so you can ensure only guest who have booked and paid stay at your listing

3. If there is damage following the party please submit a claim to your home insurance for STR/the Airbnb guarantee

4. Do you have on your house rules that only those who have booked and paid can be at the property?

I don't think you are correct that only 25's can book rentals in the US

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Andrea358 ,

I have nudged the concerned team regarding this unexpected guest situation and the clarity you are seeking. I hope you receive some communication that clarifies your doubts.

We are glad to announce our 6th Month of Celebration! Click here to view!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Bhumika, you are handling things well now 🙂

I like this Nudging -term; forwarded it sounds too forma; pushing it is a bit violent, NUDGE is better ++ it presumes the OP is right and just with a simple nudge...will be solved! 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

In the US it is required that guests be 25 years old to rent an entire house, so it wasn’t just “not passing the party sniffer test”, they straight up violated policy. ...

then...

I had a child rent out my house (I of course did not know this, since I can’t see their age). They were clearly local, since all their friends drove to the house to party. Some of the kids got picked up from their parents the next day

and...

so how did this happen? How did Airbnb allow an 18 year old to rent my house? They damaged the place and it’s costing me way more than the rent I got from these hooligans. ... [OP]

Brenda, here is the time to think a little outside of the BOX.

[A.] Document all damage, and [B.] as a very concerned citizen - but of course they were KIDS, report this to local POLICE STATION, illegality of it all [kids +alcohol, + renting + party] and god knows WHAT MIGHT have happened that one or another party goer, one day will report 'a crime' in 3-5 years and involve EVEN YOU 😞 ... nothing could come of it but get an 'incident report/ number' and forward it to A'bnb, Then you have House Insurance or A'bnb Cover [insurance] and ...that's all you can do.