Airbnb trying to undo refund

Airbnb trying to undo refund

I experienced some discrimination and harassment with my host which I complained to airbnb about (they claimed they didnt feel like it was with malice after promising my refund). The host also made some complaints about me and stated that I had pet (which was a service animal btw). I provided documentation and airbnb support asked when I wanted to move out whether "today or tomorrow" and I told them tomorrow. Before confirming I asked whether I would be receiving a refund and they say yes and said I would be refunded for the unspent nights. The next day I moved out and now airbnb is refusing to provide my refund stating that I can only get half refund as per my hosts cancellation policy. I was shocked as this is written in the chat support and I have screenshots of this conversation. I have made countless inquiries about issuing my refund amount that they promised but they are wasting my time with the back and forth. On top of that they still have not cancelled the booking with the host, which I believe will allow them to have an argument since no other person can reserve the space right now. I live in Ontario, Canada and would appreciate some of my options.

8 Replies 8
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jain28 the problem here Jain is the reason you wished to leave was stated as 'discrimination ' . you should have then moved out immediately to receive the refund but you did not ,nor did you cancel the booking. therefore if the host cannot rebook those nights either because you were still there or because you have not cancelled then the hosts policy remains in place. H

@Helen744 I moved out as Airbnb instructed. They said they needed my documentation and assisted me when I provided it. I left in the first few days, I believe 3rd or 4th day as the discrimination kept happening but filed a complaint on the second day. They kept wasting my time with back and forths. However, Airbnb promised me a refund so what can I do in that case?

Jain28 I imagine that the offer should be in the messages so simply ask a rep again The case is probably still open but you do need to explain the form the discrimination took ,not to us but to Airbnb. Its very serious that this should happen . All the best H

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jain28 sadly customer support often seem to offer refunds and then renege. I would suggest Airbnb made a contract with you in the conversation between their customer support provider and you. If someone like @Sybe could perhaps ask them to look at this again they might refund you. Failing that claim against them in the small claims court.

@Mike-And-Jane0 thank you for the response. Would they sue me for going to the small claims court per their TOS?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jain28 last time I looked at the terms and conditions there is a choice between arbitration and the small claims court. The latter is much quicker and simpler and has actually been encouraged by Airbnb in some instances mentioned in the community centre.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jain28  Unfortunately, Airbnb customer service is often uncompetent.  If the reservation has not even been cancelled, that significantly reduces your chances for a refund.  Usually, when guests cancel with some kind of 'cause' they get refunded the unused nights, unless this was a long term reservation, in which case I don't have enough experience on the ins and outs of cancelling a long term res. to give you any advice.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I'm sorry to hear about this, @Jain28 .

Did you manage to sort things out with Airbnb?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines