Any suggestions on how you handle an extremely unclean checkout when itโ€™s a friend? ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ค

Christine3486
Level 1
Fort McMurray, Canada

Any suggestions on how you handle an extremely unclean checkout when itโ€™s a friend? ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ค

Not sure what this is for ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

11 Replies 11
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Christine3486   Handle it the same way as you would any other guest.  Reduce stars and select would not host again.  If you leave a review, be very brief and general; "extra cleaning was required".  A REAL friend should have some respect for your property, and if they don't, they don't ever need to rent it again.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Christine3486 

Some friend that is 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Christine3486 put in the private part of the review "Hey, you are a friend and I will always clean after you when needed, even at your house, but just so you know other hosts may get upset. Love ya"

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

This is not how a friend treats a friend. So do not consider it as a friend (anymore).

Write a bad review, lesson learned, move on.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

yikes, people are harsh !  I thought I had the reputation for being the straight shooter and I wouldn't do any of this. 
@Christine3486 
hard to know what "extremely unclean" means. 

I have a lovely friend who is just so utterly unaware of her surroundings, and seems to have rarely had to clean much in her life. She's a lovely person in many ways, and flawed in others, she will often come over at meal times, say "oh, that looks good i'll need a plate, have you got any wine", then finishes and gets up and plonks herself on the sofa with her phone.... We've all got friends or rellies with some habits we don't like, but there's no reason to ditch/ cancel the friendship if it has value in other ways. 

I'd probably suck it up, write a nice review, and try to let her know in a humorous way that other hosts might ding her for leaving XYZ (give example) for the cleaners to deal with. Not much point in confronting her if this is who she is, and it's the first & last time you rent to her. 

@Gillian166 

Thats the old Thai way of doing things I cook almost everyday but I cook loads if anybody turns up we can always feed them, there is always food on the table.

You will never starve in Thailand 

The other day was my birthday and what we do is go to the Temple to do what we call Tamboon I cook some food as an offering to the Monks I also do on my mother and fathers birthday, make me feel good after talking with the Monks, and have a walk around the Temple, it's peaceful, 

@Sudsrung0  I'm not stingy about food, I love to cook and share, but my friend has a way of just assuming the world will bend to her needs. She has NO issues with constantly asking others for favours, and people do it! 

and who doesn't love Thai food, it's got to be Australia's fave asian food, easily. (although I do love Japanese too, but the freshness of thai food and the zing of citrus and herbs,  soooo good). We just got a thai restaurant near our ABB, and they really underestimated the demand, in the first few weeks you couldn't even make orders, they were so busy they had to close orders early. Now it's "just" a 30min wait! 

Happy Birthday btw.๐ŸŽ‚ I also had a b'day a few weeks ago, your temple walk sounds divine. I need some peace in my life right now. 

@Gillian166 

I think Thai food is popular everywhere even my DiL who lives in England always say if were to go back to open a Thai restaurant they have 4 Pizza and Kebab takeaway shops, I suggested a while ago to make a Thai style Pizza, Hot and Spicy,

I like cooking Asian Fusion style, 

Happy Birthday to you too, Juup Juup

I remember that Indian was always king in the UK, and was here for a long time too.  Thai pizza is a thing here, but even better: pies. 

You know the small meat pies we eat in Australia, NZ, UK? so you can get them with fillings like thai green curry (chicken). sooooo good. When I make a curry (be it indian or thai) i always save some and we do a pie night and we make a bunch of small pies with all the various leftovers, and the curry pies are always the winners. 

We have a lot of fusion restaurants here who will do a combo of thai, indo, malaysian, vietnamese, that's a winner too. Australian food has been heavily influenced by our neighbours these past 20 years or so, (we had a PM in the 80s who started finally making friends with SEasia). 

would you go back to the UK?

@Gillian166 

No, we stay here now the climate is much better for my husband, 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Christine, you are in Canada & I can't send help to you for same service we receive here. I hate it when people indicate at last moment in traffic lights; if Left they delay you if Right you get stuck.

Then I go to RAF_Luton

put a request, number plate &

car mark/model /colour

they send some guys from the air,

and neutralise them bad drivers. 

[check their account in Twitter to have a ball ๐Ÿ™‚ ]

On serious note,

If it was me I would let it go this time but

never allow that particular friend to stay again.