Backdated review removal

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Backdated review removal

In light of the Airbnb update I went back and found a retaliatory review.

The guest overstayed and even entered the property when new people already checked in (they had the door unlocked). The response I got from Airbnb? You can charge them for the late check out through resolution center.

First off, I already did that and in fact referenced that in my message to them as proof of what transpired.

Second, I was asking specifically for the review removal in light of the new policy using the link posted in Cheeky's updated.

The only thing that surprised me about the whole encounter was that I believed yet again that Airbnb changed. Silly me

33 Replies 33

@Huma0 @Gillian166 @Bhumika 

Add to that "Lost in Translation"

My recent dealings with CS OK im not knocking them.

Their English was poor I can speak English I had to hand it over to my husband, they guy said to my husband Can you speak English, Yep I am English but your English is not good, 

Good luck @Bhumika it seems like they have opened a can f worms, 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Inna22 @Huma0 @Bhumika @Sudsrung0 

I know this is off topic and feel free to link me to some page about how things work...and where i should make this comment. 

but is anyone else finding the forums to be dizzying with the display order of the comments?  abborder.38.45 pm.jpg

@Gillian166 

This topic is just getting warmed up 

@Gillian166 I compeltely agree. I responded to @Bhumika comment when she posted but it is now burried way down and no longer makes sense becuase it is a page away from hers

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Gillian166 ,

It appeared that way because I clicked reply on Sudsrung's message. If I had clicked on yours, it would have been under you. I assume, sequence is displayed on the basis of ''on whose message you reply'', irrespective of time. I hope , I caught the query correctly😆.  

Thanks,

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Inna22 

Considering my experience with Airbnb, I am under no illusions about whether new policies can or will be implemented in a practical way. Or that CS will even be aware of it. 

I'm sticking with my strategy of using (and demanding) the two things Airbnb excels at; bookings and payment. Everything else is undependable and shouldn't be expected. In practical reality, avoidance of undesirable guest experiences is the sole responsibility of the host. Set your expectations appropriately. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I wanted to update everyone that the review just got removed. By the way, is there still a way to contribute to a thread without replying to anyone specific? 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Inna22 I'm glad to hear the review was removed in the end!

To reply to the topic itself instead of a specific reply, you can use the "Reply" button on the original post. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Inna22  what magic words did you use to get it removed? I'm trying to get a review removed and they won't. I am persisting, because the guest was not pleasant.

and btw, I have my own definition of "retaliatory" which is: I didn't read the listing properly and I'm upset with myself and I should be embarrassed to complain about things that were never promised, but instead i'll take it out on the host and leave a low review. 

@Gillian166 I agree with your definition of retaliatory review 100% but unfortunately that’s not the vision of Airbnb and in all fairness to them would be really hard to prove. In my case it was clearly documented that guests stayed well past checkout and never denied it. I had to force them out and they had to pay the late check out fee. Their review centered around that.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Inna22  I know I have zero chance of having my definition agreed with, but I'm sticking to it. gotta be optimistic about some things in life. 😅 your case should be so easy to have it removed, but in my case, why do i have to tolerate a 3* review when they mention things that are false. I'd rather she'd just said my decor was ugly or something subjective.... 

I had a guest who couldn’t settle for the fact that I only have parking space for one car. Messaged me daily pre-rival and during arrival. She actually didn’t make her second payment on time so reservation got canceled and she went ahead and rebooked it, even though she was so upset about this. in her review, she put down that I am very difficult to communicate with because neither me nor my husband speak understandable English. She has never even met my husband, nor was he ever mention. For all she knows, I don’t even have a husband. Needless to say my , English is just fine. Not without an occasional hiccup, but it’s not like most Americans are book editors, either. It would’ve been so much easier if she just put down the parking is for one and she doesn’t think it’s right. Then I almost feel it’s a helpful review even if the starsy are low. So much better than potential guest’s thinking that I would be hard to communicate with.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Inna22  I'm surprised by the number of hosts who seemed to think that the new review policy would/should be retroactive?? While I'm a big fan of AirBnB revising the review system to be more fair, I simply don't understand how hosts are thinking that they can apply the new policy retroactively to old reviews. Even if AirBnB intended it to be (and I don' t think they did), it doesn't seem realistic or possible. The sheer volume would make it difficult.

Not an attack, just my thoughts. Kia

@Kia272 I have 3 large properties downtown Chicago. I am a prime target for potential house parties and I crush them hard. To my surprise, I found only one three star or lower review from those types of guests. I guess I either got them removed at the time or none of them reviewed. Perhaps I did not review some of them myself so not to prompt a response. Either way, with my volume there was only one review to be potentially removed. What I am saying is that I do not think the volume should be that huge,

As for it being retroactive, Airbnb offered it, why not take advantage?

@Inna22  Honestly, I had no idea that it was retroactive. I didn't see that mentioned in the release. As to 'why not take advantage?'..... exactly! 

And just like that....POOF! The 1* retaliatory review by the Evil Alyssa (worst guest EVER) has been removed by AirBnB! Over two years I lived with that review and although I had learned to brush it off as the cost of doing business, I'm actually elated that this worked.