Christmas decorations

Answered!
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Christmas decorations

Hello hosts - season's greetings, happy holidays!
Do you put Christmas decorations in your listing? I usually put some bright & sparkly baubles in a large bowl and use it a as centre-piece on the dining table & a smaller version in the living room. I think it's a nice touch for guests who celebrate the Season and the stuff is small enough for guests to put away (e.g., in a draw) if they don't like it.

What do you do?  Some decorations- a little, a lot?  None? Love to see pics so please share.

Wishing you all a safe, healthy and prosperous 2022!
1 Best Answer
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

just rebooting this topic because this is our 2nd xmas hosting and we have a family booked into the cottage. Last year we had a single man doing covid QT, what a different year it is!  I'm thinking at the least we will do a Xmas tree and probably a wreath on the door and xmas lights, but I don't really see fairy lights as "xmas" haha, we have quite a lot of fairy lights about the place. I also buy xmas tea towels (usually animal or botanical themed stuff to go with our styling, there's been a great shift in the past years to make Xmas decor more appropriate to our landscape so there's more things with native flowers and plants, and cockatoos and other animals etc) and I don't do anything religious, just festive.  

View Best Answer in original post

40 Replies 40
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Flavia202 

I have some outside porch decorations. And a small cypress plant and reef on the door for guest apartment. I think it makes it more cheerful. I grew up with best friends who weren't Christian but we all liked to exchange gifts and all take part in the holiday. 

You can see the little tree and flowers on the table. I also have some cypress trees in the yard so cut those. Also got a red lantern that has orniments inside but its so red that I don't like it and think I'm going to take it out. I got one for my living space but just don't like it either. 

I have guest over Christmas and New Years. Both returning and book each year. The second one I noticed turned around a plant holder that said "Merry Christmas." But also asked if she could put the poinsettias on the coffee table because she liked them. 

IMG_1614 2.JPG

Inside the unit. I happened to have this pic from trying to figure out where to place mini split on next project but you can see the plants on the table in the corner. Can't take pics of reef on the door or the other lantern becuase its rented. 

66077597504__8F774236-69F6-4C61-9B07-839C01CF993B.JPG

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

I think your porch looks lovely. I have given up on poinsettias though. I find it depressing how quickly they die!

When my family first moved to the UK, we didn't celebrate Christmas. My brother and I were still toddlers so I don't really remember what we did on Christmas the first couple of years. However, once we started school, my parents decided we would celebrate Christmas even though it didn't represent their tradition/beliefs, because they felt that we as young children were missing out.

We have celebrated it ever since and I remember my mother getting very upset when I was 19 and turned up late (and already well fed) because I'd had a Xmas lunch with my boyfriend and flatmates. 

When I was about 13, I asked my mother to write a letter to my school to tell them I didn't want to go to assembly and sing hymns and pray, nor go to chapel, because I wasn't Christian. She agreed, but told me, "It's good to learn about other people's religions." I realise now she was right. No one should be forced to celebrate Christmas, or any other religious festival, but then no one should be forced not to celebrate it either.

@Huma0 That is so interesting about growing up with your family during the holidays! Thanks for sharing. I think its been about inclusion of inclusion, and I can see how your mom might of thought you would have been missing out. 

I only decorated the porch for guest. I usually just liked to take a break from work and use holidays to do something on my own. My sister always invites me for her Christmas Eve party but she has so many friends that its the only time I see a lot of people which is a little awkward for me although perfectly normal for her as she has always had a lot of friends. 

I saw someone today at the grocery store that also has a dining area and someone said, just be happy no matter what you are doing or something like that. So true! And there is so much other stuff going on that i'm not compatibale. For example the county park has a light display that has over a million light bulbs. Its all these scenes of lights along all the roads in the park and people pay $10 just to drive through and none of them even get out of their cars, and there is a line of cars over a mile long just to get in the park. Its just to make money, which means that the majority of people who visit the county park never even get out of their cars! 

Coffee shops are also becoming drive through with long lines. So its often more about technology and transportation.  I agree,  that really nothing should be forced on anyone. Some parts of the world are more extreme. It should all be about making choices and being a good influence when one can. 

Hi @John5097 . Thanks for sharing pics. I like your porch.  Lovely Christmas cheer!  I also like the little tree on your table.  Nice.

Re Poinsettias  - I get some for myself   (reds and whites) every year  because they so lift my spirits!

Jennifer2670
Level 4
Winston-Salem, NC

I only decorate my place in the mountains with seasonal decorations. That way it brightens up the place enough to make it different, it fits with all/no religions,  and I only have to switch it out 4x a year.  Right now I've got a winter welcome wreath, a few winter gnomes, a snowman,  some winter place decor,  and a beautiful set of wooden deer.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

just rebooting this topic because this is our 2nd xmas hosting and we have a family booked into the cottage. Last year we had a single man doing covid QT, what a different year it is!  I'm thinking at the least we will do a Xmas tree and probably a wreath on the door and xmas lights, but I don't really see fairy lights as "xmas" haha, we have quite a lot of fairy lights about the place. I also buy xmas tea towels (usually animal or botanical themed stuff to go with our styling, there's been a great shift in the past years to make Xmas decor more appropriate to our landscape so there's more things with native flowers and plants, and cockatoos and other animals etc) and I don't do anything religious, just festive.  

It's great to be back to 'normal' @Gillian166!

I like your idea of the Xmas towels with the differentl themes. Nice touch!

@Flavia202  I will confess I went to tk maxx the other day and bought some xmas decor... despite my best intentions I just can't resist the American stuff, it's so good. I even got hand soap + lotion in a xmas theme. 🎅🏼

ARC-Print0
Level 2
California City, CA

I just use seasonal decorations to polish up my farm house. In this way, the space is enough brightened to feel unique, it is compatible with all or no religions, and I only have to change it out four times a year. I currently have  a couple winter gnomes, a snowman, and a snow welcome flower.

ARC Print
Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

We love, love Christmas! This is us keeping the decorations toned down. LOL! 

https://fb.watch/h5foa2XzQ7/

We know we have a family coming in to celebrate Christmas, so they are okay this year.

If someone objected or gave some indication they don't celebrate Christmas, we would probably take out the tree, but the other pagan greenery and lights would stay. 

We do get guests for other religious holidays during the year. When I know that is going on I do a little research to figure out if there is something in particular they need. For instance we don't allow candles, but some religious observances include candle lighting or candle vigils, so we make an exception and provide candles, holders, and trays that will make it safer. 

Farm Diva

Hi @Sheila646 , sounds good. I don't allow candles as well and so far I've not had any objections.