Do Star Ratings Matter?

Jasmine27
Level 3
Phuket, Thailand

Do Star Ratings Matter?

Dear Community,

A guest recently gave us a 3-star overall review, with 1 star on communication, 1 star on value, and 2 stars on location. 

We recieved this 1 star review on communication despite the fact that we communicated clearly, and he did not communicate anything in Airbnb messages since the time of booking. We are also very surprised to have recieved 1 star on value, and 2 stars on location.

But despite the rating damage done, the review could not be removed just simply because of bad star ratings.

This bears the question: As with the written part of reviews, shouldn't the star ratings given be considered as a determinant in the evaluation of the relevency of reviews?

Rating categories are visible to potential guests as a collective average.

The star rating categories given in reviews are collectively taken into account to be averaged out and presented as a standard of reference for potential guests to have an idea of what to expect from their stay at any given property.

Therefore whenever there are low rating extremities such as in this case, and in which case Airbnb has adequate information to evaluate it as false or extremely biased, shouldn't there be the possiblity that these abnormally low star ratings be taken into account for determining the relevancy of a review in regards to helping guests looking to book to make informed decisions?

Despite that star ratings are not seen by other guests reading a review, they are still part of a given review, and still have an integral application over a listing's visible ratings which in turn influences the decision of potential guests to book.

P.S. The previous host also recieved a bad review from this guest, likely under no fault of her own.

It is quite demoralizing, that those leaving only damaging reviews and abnormally low ratings to hosts across Airbnb over and over hardly face consequences if any, while those who receive the low ratings just have to accept it.

4 Replies 4

Hi.  To answer the title of your post.  Ratings do matter.  I've seen other hosts ask for five star reviews and explain why five star review will help their listing.  You can ask a guest to remove a review.  I do not know if that would remove the STARS associated with the review.  More stays average out the stars, as you know.  I'm sorry you experienced this.  Keep Hosting!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can absolutely see how demoralising it is to have an unfair review. You mentioned the guest had also given another previous host a bad review.

Do you not check reviews guests leave for other hosts before accepting them @Jasmine27 

And absolutely guests do read reviews from other guests. Many use them to determine whether they stay in a listing. 

I can't see the negative review you mention.

Dear Ms. Helen, 

Thank you for your reply.

The previous host's review only showed up later, after the guests booking had been confirmed with us.

The written review by the guest to us translates to "Rather good." ; Which is actually positive.

However in terms of star ratings given in the review, the overall rating was 3 stars, and in the sub categories: 1 star, was given on communication, 1 star on  value, and 2 stars on location.

I understand the importance of maintaining this strict standard to keep reviews on site is for integrity, despite the uneasyness, so long as the reviews are accurate and informing. I was just hoping there would be an improvement to the approach of evaluating the relevancy of certain reviews by considering the star ratings provided in the review given, since this has consequences over not only the Super Host Status, but also the Star Rating of the property on Airbnb.