Does road closure qualify as extenuating circumstances?

Answered!
Quoc19
Level 2
Gilroy, CA

Does road closure qualify as extenuating circumstances?

We booked a rental in Reno for the xmas week but unfortunately, we had a major snow storm which dumped 17 ft of snow on mountain roads breaking a 50 year long record.  All highways were closed between California and Reno for several days. 

I explained to airbnb that is not the usual weather problem and it was totally outside of my control as i was physically prevented from traveling across the mountains.  Unfortunately airbnb support doesnt agree with this.  

Does anyone had a similar situation? How was it resolved? 

Many thanks

1 Best Answer
Jennifer3689
Level 2
Peoria, AZ

Airbnb TOS makes this clear....
Government travel restrictions. Travel restrictions imposed by a governmental agency that prevent or prohibit traveling to, staying at, or returning from the Listing location. This does not include non-binding travel advisories and similar government guidance.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32
Quoc19
Level 2
Gilroy, CA

Just an update for those who are following this thread and were in the boat as me, AirBnB support ended up qualifying my case as EC.

They told me all CS agents do have a list of events that are classified as EC and the storm in Tahoe last Dec is on the list. So it was not hard to qualify if you can connect to an agent willing to review, understand your situation, and do a proper search on that list. 

Hope this helps.

Keri128
Level 1
Cedartown, GA

I’m experiencing the exact problem now.

Jennifer3689
Level 2
Peoria, AZ

Airbnb TOS makes this clear....
Government travel restrictions. Travel restrictions imposed by a governmental agency that prevent or prohibit traveling to, staying at, or returning from the Listing location. This does not include non-binding travel advisories and similar government guidance.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320