Dog ate rat poison

Michael7047
Level 2
New York, NY

Dog ate rat poison

Rented a dog-friendly AirBNB. Around 9:45pm last night, found our 16-lb dachshund chewing on what appeared to be a Greenie dog treat but was actually TomCat rodent poison. The packaging, as well as the EPA, clearly states that rodenticide MUST but placed in a child- and dog-tamper-proof bait station. I counted no less than 5 loose poison blocks (1 oz each) in the basement as well as a bag of poison bait under the sink. $95 dollar Poison Control Center phone call and $280 Emergency Room bill later, my question is: do I attempt to resolve with Evolve or go straight to AirBNB? Had we not caught the dog in the act, who knows what would have happened.

3 Replies 3
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Wow Michael. My first thought was with the dog's welfare; thank God you caught in the potential disaster in time.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael7047 

I'm so sorry to hear about this incident.

It must have been absolutely terrifying for everybody, especially your precious dog.

I have escalated a report of this incident, along with your details, within Airbnb.  They'll be able to review what happened and support you.

I hope that your dog is continuing to recover - please keep us up to date.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Michael7047 yeah, this is scary. We once had rat blocks put in our property (not abb home, this was years ago) and the numpty boy who put out the blocks put one under the baby change table. our dog found it and ate it, luckily cos she's a guts she swallowed it almost whole (rhodesian ridgeback, big mouth and greedy as, lol) so we took her to the vet who induced vomiting and got the whole thing up.  phew! even for a large dog that was a big scare but for a daccy..... that's game over. 

we found another rat bait under the clawfoot bath tub 🤦🏻‍♀️  we had 2 little kids in the house as well! 

the Exterminators paid for our vet bill (@$200 IIRC). we got v lucky, and lesson learned to oversee all tradies and double check their work (*sigh* must we? when we pay them full frieght)

Even though the owners might not have deployed the baits in your situation, yes, this bill is on them.