FALSE ACCUSATIONS BY GUEST FOR DIRTY KITCHEN

Answered!

FALSE ACCUSATIONS BY GUEST FOR DIRTY KITCHEN

We are new to hosting and recently encountered a guest accusing us of dirty kitchen and molding coffee in coffee pot and posted publicly in our review. We have also been having a hard time communicating with them. On the first Day of meeting we made sure that everything was ok by personally assisting them  from the lobby and showing them the unit and giving them final instructions regarding house rules. We showed them around the unit, making sure that  EVERYTHING IS IN ORDER and they are well settled before leaving them . We even offered to call us anytime if they need anything and inform them that they can reach us in our cell number in case we cannot answer in the air bnb app since we both do not have data when we are out of the house. They left our unit untidy with unwashed dishes on sink, pillows on the floor, dirty toilet, leftover food in ref and trash not properly disposed and posted a negative review.  Relationship between host and guest could have been better with an open communication, in the 15 days of their stay with us we have been constantly asking them if they encountered problems or if there is anything we can do to  assist  and we have not heard any response in private message provided by air bnb app, until the review came out.

if you have similar experience, we are eager to hear  your story and  suggestions on  how we can protect ourselves from  guest who do not respect our place and from  false accusations by guest who do not appreciate our effort to serve them

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Philip2936 

Can I why you left this review

'It was our pleasure hosting you. Hoping to host you again in your future travels"

for a guest you say 'left our unit untidy with unwashed dishes on sink, pillows on the floor, dirty toilet, leftover food in ref and trash not properly disposed and posted a negative review"

the review system only works if you are honest to help warn your fellow hosts about poor guest behaviour.

Here you have rewarded a badly behaved guest by leaving them a glowing review.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Philip2936 2 of your 3 reviews suggest cleanliness issues AND a desire to communicate outside of Airbnb.

Rather than trying to get a review removed (you will fail anyway) can I suggest you focus your energy on providing a clean space for your guests and communicate with them via the app.

thank you Sir Mike and Janeo  . Noted 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Philip2936  You are going to encounter a variety of guest throughout your Airbnb adventures. Some guest will never say or word about an issue or claim everything was great, but then leave a negative review, while others may be very vocal about problems. 

That being said, the review does not appear to violate any of the terms or conditions, therefore your efforts to get it removed would likely be punitive.  As you know, you can always write a response to a review, however if you come in angry and start pointing fingers at the guest vs acknowledging their concerns it often reflects bad on you as a host. An example may be...

"XXX we appreciate your feedback and strive to provide all our guest with an excellent experience. We have spoken with our cleaners to address the concerns brought forth."

Lastly, as another host has already stated. 2/3 of your reviews reflect an issue with cleanliness and communication. These are big issues, especially considering the pandemic. I would focus on how you can improve in these domains moving forward. A continued low rating and complaints from guest could result in you losing your listing. 

Thank you for your tip  Ms Jennifer on how to handle negative comment publicly. We admit we still have a lot to learn  and we do not want to lose our listing with air bnb this is also one reason why we need to share our experience  because we are open to suggestions on how to improve our hosting skills . 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Philip2936 

Can I why you left this review

'It was our pleasure hosting you. Hoping to host you again in your future travels"

for a guest you say 'left our unit untidy with unwashed dishes on sink, pillows on the floor, dirty toilet, leftover food in ref and trash not properly disposed and posted a negative review"

the review system only works if you are honest to help warn your fellow hosts about poor guest behaviour.

Here you have rewarded a badly behaved guest by leaving them a glowing review.

Miss Helen  We privately message our guest and opted not  to put the negative comment in public out of respect. We did not expect a negative comment from them because before leaving them in the unit we showed them the switch of the lights  in the kitchen counter which was hidden inside the cabinet this also gave us time to double check the room and that everything is in order before leaving them . In their 15 days of stay we have been constantly communicating with them  asking if they encountered a problem or if they need any assistance but we presumed they are ok . In our conversation during their stay they only ask us if we can pick up the laundry and discussed the payments but no mentioning about what was written in the reviews after they left. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Philip2936 

Your first job I would say is fix your phones as a host you should be available you might not like it but thats the way it is, Both me and my husband have internet on our phones as almost all our guest are foreign tourist,

Anything can happen and it does,

Your reviews will not help your business it can happen to the best of us, 

I think the reviews you have there is some tips for you to follow and how you can improve, and in my experience dont rely on your cleaner they will let you down make sure you check and check again

Thank you  for your suggestion . We make it a point to meet our guest upon check in to welcome them and give final instruction and also do final check double checking  while showing our guest around  the place before leaving . your suggestion of having internet in our phones i will do that .We will try to work harder on cleaning too to improve our ratings next time thanks again

@Philip2936 

We have never done self check in we always meet and greet our guest for many it's their first time here,

What we do is go, say 30 minutes before they are due to arrive, turn the lights on and the A/C so they dont feel like they are walking into an empty unit,, Turn the TV on I think it make it look like you are ready for them, and while you are there just have a quick check, Some bottles of water and soft drinks in the fridge for them,

Thank you this is very helpful . Im glad that there are hosts willing to help and share experiences for newbies to learn . Good luck to us may this year be better for all the host in air bnb