Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

Answered!
Jennifer2827
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

My host is asking for the driver's license of everyone in my party (4 people). It is unusual and makes me concerned, as I have never had this request before. Is this legit?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

When it comes to guests verifying their identity, this Help Center article details when and if it is appropriate: What a Host may ask you for

It is dependant on local laws or may be a requirement in a Hosts house rules to see a form of ID at the point of check-in.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

67 Replies 67

Not necessarily true.   If local ordinances require ID then it's acceptable.  Obviously your responsible to protect their private information.    

Our community requires it for safety reasons.    It's reasonable 

I disagree with that as I was asked to upload a copy of my drivers license front and back booking before they would confirm booking. This is in the Denver area. It would not except PNF files/format either. My experience,I just went to a nice hotel instead.

I’m sure you have the hotel desk clerk a copy of your id. It’s no different. 

Not actually true. It is a choice between the host and the guest . I always ask for id and did ask for vax certificates as well , while explaining to the guests that we do not have access to Airbnbs ids nor do we have access to the guests credit card info,and that as one of my house rules I require an id from the main guest, and this is for my protection and theirs. Its called trust and Airbnbs exist on a lot of trust . The guest can choose not to travel if they wish , but not to enter my home without id before they arrive or at the very least upon arrival. I am the host not Airbnb and my rules go in my house.   H

In my county it is mandatory that the host get a copy of the guests phot I’d and keep it for 2 years. I could be fined and lose my license to operate if I don’t comply. Local laws supersede Airbnb policies. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennifer2827   One way to avoid the host asking for this information is to register each guest in the booking.  This would require each guest to have a verified AirBnB account.  I LOVE the booking guest who lists the names and accounts of the other 3 guests that will also be staying.  I HATE the one that tells me that one person is staying and then 10 show up.

Oh my gosh I couldn't agree more. 

How do I set that up? I have that current situation now. The bookie, doesn't have a pic, 0 reviews and isn't listing the other guests!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jennifer2827 FYI some cities don't allow guests under 21 to book, maybe that was the issue

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jennifer2827   It appears your decision to cancel your request is based on your discomfort with the host requirements.  Depending on location of the home,  it also appears that the requirement could be legitimate within the Air BNB system.  

What do you do when I guest refuses to provide ID for their party, even when you ask repeatedly?

Our local jurisdiction mandates that we report all guests to the Foreign service, along with their Passport or Id numbers at the risk of the host being penalized by sizeable fines and even possible jail time.

I understand that ID theft is a valid consideration but what if you are required by law and explain it to the guest, what is your recourse, if the guest is already in your home and refusing to provide the required information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@PaulaAndBob0 . I am new to hosting, but I do inform the guest before I confirm the reservation that I will require,  a photo ID at check-in of all the guests,  and I haven't had any problems with that.

To your last question, if the guest refuse to at check-in, I will not hand  over my keys to people that I am unsure of. I live there, so it's important for me to know who is under my roof.  As I don't think Airbnb do checks on all guest, only those who have an account with them. 

I hope it answers your query 

Do you have this is your house rules? I am in the same situation, but I would like to vet them before I accept the booking. Your thoughts?

Riley70
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

Every hotel requires ID. Standard practices 

Standard practice is also that they have to be held in PCI compliance to avoid data leaks, and no offense.... but most of these hosts still have the same **bleep**ing wifi password on their router... I'm sure gonna trust them. Nope. 

Roseann54
Level 1
Hollywood, FL

Traveling to BCN in Oct. The concerning thing for me is that the host told me they have to hand it over to the police! WTF that feels like tyranny. I was in BCN in 2017 and this was not required.