Host collecting deposit on OwnerRez

Answered!
Barry413
Level 2
Greenwich, CT

Host collecting deposit on OwnerRez

Got this in an email after booking. Is OwnerRez legit?  Would I have any recourse if host tries to screw me over by claiming damage when there's none?

1 Best Answer

It's not mentioned in the listing description but I see now there is language under the price breakdown that says "this property requires a $300 security deposit.  It will be collected separately by the property manager prior to check in."  I must have missed that fine print, and this is a non-refundable booking.  

I ran it by AirBNB and they said since the host is an "app-connected host" collecting deposit off site is allowed.  This is the first time I'vencountered security deposit for AirBNB.  I will have to check the property more carefully upon checking in and keep good documentation in case of any false accusations.  An extra hassle for sure.   

On the other hand, I understand some guests can be destructive, and most hosts just want to run a successful business rather than scamming people.   Finger crossed, but I think this should be fine, though in the future I will check the fine prints more carefully to avoid this kinda of surprise.  

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Barry413 if you are concerned and are in the 48 hr cancellation window then just cancel. If you are inside the window but the stay is less than 2 weeks away then, if the host didn't reveal the deposit in their listing then call Airbnb and explain the situation and request a  full refund cancellation.

It's not mentioned in the listing description but I see now there is language under the price breakdown that says "this property requires a $300 security deposit.  It will be collected separately by the property manager prior to check in."  I must have missed that fine print, and this is a non-refundable booking.  

I ran it by AirBNB and they said since the host is an "app-connected host" collecting deposit off site is allowed.  This is the first time I'vencountered security deposit for AirBNB.  I will have to check the property more carefully upon checking in and keep good documentation in case of any false accusations.  An extra hassle for sure.   

On the other hand, I understand some guests can be destructive, and most hosts just want to run a successful business rather than scamming people.   Finger crossed, but I think this should be fine, though in the future I will check the fine prints more carefully to avoid this kinda of surprise.  

Are you sure it’s not mentioned in the description? Did you check the house rules?

Most hosts will include the information in their House Rules, but Airbnb also auto-adds the details during the checkout pages. It is listed under the price breakdown on the first page of the checkout process.Most hosts will include the information in their House Rules, but Airbnb also auto-adds the details during the checkout pages. It is listed under the price breakdown on the first page of the checkout process.

Barry413
Level 2
Greenwich, CT

I reached out directly to Airbnb.  At first they said collecting deposit is allowed since the host is an "app-connected host."  But upon further discussion, Airbnb told us to not pay the security deposit because it's outside the platform.  Since paying the deposit is required to check in, this leaves me in a weird situation.  Airbnb said they will inform the host of their decision on the deposit and if the host disagrees, she can cancel our booking.  Airbnb refuses to cancel the booking directly, saying only the host can cancel.  I don't understand why Airbnb instructed me to not pay, given there is an exception for "app-connected host." 

OwnerRez also asks me to upload an government issued photo ID, such as my driver's license.  In addition to paying the deposit, this also makes me a bit uneasy.   

Arrive-And-Thrive0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I realize this is quite a while after your booking now, but I think it's important to add some clarity.  I am also a host who uses OwnerRez to run all of our operations.  The reason Airbnb (and VRBO, Booking, Expedia, etc.) allow hosts with API connected software to collect security deposits is because they know that the system is legitimate.  

In OwnerRez, most hosts will run a security "hold" which isn't a charge, but shows as a pending status until after your stay, at which time it is simply released.  This is the same process for hotels, gas stations, etc.

Please post if you had any issues.  My guess is that you didn't, and I think it's important for others reading this to know that OwnerRez (and other large property management systems) can be trusted, and it's simply a way for hosts to protect themselves against otherwise bad guests.  

I can say that we have no interest in keeping anyone's security deposit.  But we have noticed that guests are, on average, more respectful guests when they have a deposit.

I hope this helps shed some light!  We're all in this together!