Locking up the Linens???

Answered!
Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

Locking up the Linens???

I keep three sets of linens for every bed in our vacation rental. I have one set on the bed and an extra set in the closet in case there is a spill or accident in the night.  The third set is in our storage unit just in case I have a tight turn and don't have time to get all of the laundry done. 

The beds all have comforters with blankets or duvets with quilts, but just in case I also keep an extra blanket in each closet too. It should be plenty warm in the bed without the blanket, but there are some people who have poor circulation and like an extra blanket. Our beds are so comfortable and we get a lot of compliments from guests about them. 

I've been having a problem with people opening up the extra linens and leaving them lying around. Sometimes they look like someone has used them and other times it looks like they unpacked it just to see what it was. (All of the linen bags are clear and labeled on the outside.) Regardless of whether it looks used or not I have to wash the extra linens just to be sure.

I'm sure it's complicated by the fact that we have a fun feature of the "kids" bedroom of forts under the eaves, which are supplied with a foam mattress, sleeping bag, and sleeping bag liner. Sometimes the blankets have been used in those instead of the sleeping bag. When that happens the kids never use sheets. I have never once had a guest use the sleeping bag liners with the sleeping bags despite the note on the bag that says to use it. My theory is that the parents are letting the kids fend for themselves and the kids are exploring the selection of bedding and improvising.

It usually happens in the rooms where the kids have been sleeping, but it happens in the other rooms too. Guests have pulled out comforters and left them on the living room floor. Sometimes they don't unpack the linens but take them out of the closet and leave them in another room. Why??? One time a guest used the blanket from the closet to create a bed on the floor for their infant, despite the fact we provide a portable crib with bedding. I'd much rather clean drool and poop off of crib sheets than a full size blanket. 

Some version of thoughtlessly messing with the extra linens has happened with every single guest we've had. I'm not talking about the people who pulled out the extra blanket and clearly used it on the bed. That happens too, and it's normal behavior.

I tried putting the extra linens on the top shelves in the rooms where that is possible. It hasn't helped. I'm thinking about buying a chest to lock up the linens and provide a key within reach of adults. I'm also thinking about putting signs around with my first whacky host rule for people with kids that they not allow their children to unpack bed linens without supervision. I feel like a crazy person even saying that. Who really needs to be told this???

Does anyone have any other ideas? I want people to feel welcome. I don't want to have a bunch of weird rules or signs in every bedroom.  I want them to have the extra linens in case they need them, but not to strew all over the house. 

I love hosting. I really like my guests. How do I keep them from rifling through the extra linens?

Thanks!

Farm Diva
1 Best Answer
Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

We  have a large locking cabinet in the utility room in which I store all extra linens and supplies.  I provide extra pillows and cases in the closets and one extra blanket per bed.  I do not put blankets on the bed--just the sheets and a quilt spread. Majority of our guests never use the blankets provided. I also had a problem with everything being gotten out resulting in a lot of extra laundry.  This solved the problem and I have not had any complaints.

Good luck,

Kim

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sheila646 I can only suggest locking away everything you don't want used. We leave nothing extra for guests but they can always request extra if needed.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sheila646  yes, we've had this happen too, guests open the cupboards and touch everything.... if you have the linens in a zippered clear bag, can you ziptie them shut? this will stop the majority I suspect, esp if you don't provide scissors, haha. 😈

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Sheila646 

Im guessing it must have happened to a lot of host, we have one villa which a great storeroom everything we need is in there, spares and tools and the laundry for our other properties,

One day the cleaner didnt lock it they used every towel we had in there, 

Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

I decided to take a baby step on this. Our next guest checks in tomorrow afternoon. 

I removed every extra piece of linen and left them with one change of sheets per bed and one extra blanket per bed. If they really make a mess of the bed, I figure that will be enough for them to "rough it" for one night. 

I also went out and bought throw blankets for every bedroom and two for the living room. They are smaller and less costly than any of the blankets on the bed, so they can drag them all over the house for all I care. 

BTW, I really did love the idea of zip tying the blankets in plastic zipper bags, but I just took all of those out of the house. If pulling the sheets out of the closets and unpacking them becomes the new thing, then I may try putting them in zipper bags. 

Thanks, everyone for the advice. Hoping for the best.

Sheila

Farm Diva

Hi, love your new plan.

Would be hesitant to leave an extra set of sheets per bedroom as you are creating a laundry nightmare for yourself, as you have to wash the extra sets after every guest checkout…i can only imagine my horror in having to wash 2 sets of stained linens per room.    

If you want to leave emergency bedding, would create a sealed “emergency linen package” …and notify guests in your welcome text, wlecome message or welcome book. ..in case you need it there is a sealed emergency linen package…fyi…if you want them to change their own sheets, your mattress pad better be spotless. 

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

We  have a large locking cabinet in the utility room in which I store all extra linens and supplies.  I provide extra pillows and cases in the closets and one extra blanket per bed.  I do not put blankets on the bed--just the sheets and a quilt spread. Majority of our guests never use the blankets provided. I also had a problem with everything being gotten out resulting in a lot of extra laundry.  This solved the problem and I have not had any complaints.

Good luck,

Kim

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We have found that the normal use of our guests is about 4 towels per guest for 4 days. If we leave 8 towels per guest, they will use 8 towels per guest and then they tend to be left sloppily in all kinds of odd places (i.e. outdoor furniture, by the gazebo, etc). And then very hard to tell which is really used so all have to be cleaned. When 6 people stay that could translate to close to 50 towels!

Brianne46
Level 2
Garner, NC

So I added a "rule" in my Welcome Book under Other Instructions stating there are extra linens available in case of emergencies, but there may be additional fees incurred if more than the supplied linens are used.  We'll see how it turns out?! I think the thought of having pay more makes people think twice about using everything up!