Multiple problem with guest: possibility to cancel ongoing stay

Valentine102
Level 2
Limoges, France

Multiple problem with guest: possibility to cancel ongoing stay

Hi everyone, I have a guest who arrived 2 weeks ago and is scheduled to stay 2 more weeks. We've had problems with him since the beginning: he smoked on the terrasse in front of the studio which is also our terrasse (studio is inside our home but completely independent but the terrasse is shared), and left his cigarette ashes and tips, his empty cans of beer and wine (he drinks a lot), and pieces of the furniture (chair, cushion, sheets) outside all the time, under pouring rain. Never answered our messages, went to knock on the door, he didn't respond (he was there), then opened the next night, insulted me and proceeded to kick my front door with his foot. I called the police, he stopped to let everything outside. But since today he smokes inside the studio, I know it for sure because of the smell++ and because he didn't open his door all day. Tried to message him, to no avail. I'll add that I contacted Airbnb for every problems we've had with him (there are other minors that I won't mention). I asked Airbnb to cancel the remaining nights, I'm willing.to pay him back for them (asked him directly last week when we had our "interaction", he refused). Do you think Airbnb will be willing to cancel the reservation? Thank you, we are very distressed and depressed about all this...

4 Replies 4
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"I asked Airbnb to cancel the remaining nights, .." And what happened?

I was told : " we're going to contact the guest" and "I have to report to my supervisor" (it was yesterday), but nothing more. I know that the guest won't answer them, but I also feel that they won't cancel his stay that "easily" (even though all this is far from easy for us)... I don't know what to do next.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Valentine102 

Very sorry to hear about this. Yes, Airbnb can and will cancel a guest's stay and ask them to leave for breaking your house rules, especially if you are willing to refund the unspent nights. They have done it for me.

The problem is, they did say they had to contact the guest first. I would explain to Airbnb that the guest is non-responsive, so they are unlikely to be able to get hold of him.

Also, stress that this is an urgent situation as you feel unsafe with this guest there. He is drinking heavily, has insulted you and kicked your door and you have already had to call the police. You have already asked him to leave and he refused. 

I don't know how the law works in France, but will the police remove the guest if the stay is cancelled and he refuses to leave? Would he then be considered a trespasser, or would he have some kind of tenants rights?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Valentine102 ,

Since it has been a while, did you eventually manage to get the situation resolved? Hope you are well and safe! 

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines