Possible Scam? Long term renting through Airbnb

Maria13720
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Possible Scam? Long term renting through Airbnb

Hi everyone, 

I found a property on Facebook Marketplace and messaged the person advertising the property. They told me to email the "landlord" for further details so I did. Upon emailing the landlord she told me the price of the property which included all bills (incl Council Tax UK) and said we could move in as soon as tomorrow if we wanted as she is currently living in Berlin and thinks she will be living there for the foreseeable future. She attached photos of the property including garden photos - my partner and I proceeded to drive to the property address and we didn't go inside but could see the garden was identical to the photos with the same storage shed and everything so there was nothing suspicious there. However she has said the renting process will go through Airbnb. Once we put down a deposit (through Airbnb) we will meet an Airbnb agent at the property and sign a contract, for the first 2 months the payments will be made to Airbnb and after that time, if we are still happy with the property, we will send the rent money directly through her. 

I really love the property and would happily move in i'm just sceptical as i'm not familiar with Airbnb long term renting and wasn't actually aware it was a thing! 

I'm asking if anyone has had a similar experience as a long term tenant through Airbnb and whether the above sounds suspicious or whether it's genuine process. If we were to give a deposit through Airbnb would we be protected? She said how we would sign a legal contract but i'm wondering who the contract will be with, does Airbnb act as a letting agent in these cases? Also, do Airbnb "agents" meet tenants at properties to give them keys etc. 

She has not requested money or anything like that so it is still early stages i'm just very wary of getting scammed. If someone has rented a property through Airbnb before as a long term tenant, please can you get in touch and let me know your experience and whether your experience sounds similar to the above and the processes you had to go through etc. 

Another thing i am concerned about is the fact she has said council tax is included, i was under the impression that even if you rent a property the council tax must be in your own name... 

There are a lot of red flags but I don't want to miss the opportunity if it's genuine because it's a lovely property and everything she is saying could be genuine and she just wants to skip the middle man of letting agents. 

Please let me know your thoughts!! 

Many thanks, Maria 🙂 

29 Replies 29
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

The classic scam: outside the platform. 

I also had a similar experience but for me, the landlord said that he is in Spain. So he said to communicate with me through Airbnb and he also forwarded the scam website link which looks very identical to Airbnb.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

(Scam Link)

This is so sad, it is happening to me right now while looking for an apartment in UK. How could people do this SCAM!!!

**[Image removed - Community Center Guidelines]

It is a SCAM. Do not proceed. Same thing happened to me twice. I did not proceed. I met both through Facebook marketplace. Below are their emails.

First Email

Second Email

James3432
Level 1
Great Baddow, United Kingdom

Happened to me today.

Said they lived in Spain, to pay Airbnb over a grand just to view. Said I need to send copies of id before they would send the link.

The address they used is a place they rent out in an old pub and certainly wouldn't be rented out for the amount they listed it as 

People are scum!

I understand your concern about the Airbnb long-term renting process, but it's actually a thing! I've had friends who have rented places long-term through Airbnb, and it worked out for them. Plus, you should be protected if you put down a deposit through Airbnb. As for the contract, I'm not sure who it would be with, but you could ask the landlord for more details.

@Nathan2999 It is a very old and well known scam. Airbnb just doesn't operate in this way.

I understand your concern about the Airbnb long-term renting process, but it's actually a thing! I've had friends who have rented places long-term through Airbnb, and it worked out for them. Plus, you should be protected if you put down a deposit through Airbnb. As for the contract, I'm not sure who it would be with, but you could ask the landlord for more details. I recently read an article about short-term and long-term rentals in Dallas: https://dallasmetro.news/dallas-airbnb-short-term-and-long-term-rentals-is-it-worth-it-to-invest-in-.... It might be worth reading if you are interested in investing in the Dallas real estate market.

@Nathan2999 PLEASE do not help the scammers by posting wrong information. Airbnb just does NOT operate in the way described in the post above.

@Nathan2999 Airbnb do long term rental but not as above. Look up Airbnbs long term rental agreements. They are contracted for the whole period and inspections are not a thing , mainly because others are already staying in the homes.Payment is taken one month in advance throughout the period and certain things can allow you to break the term if necessary but look it up more clearly. All of the above are trying to cheat others in some way... H

Me too I have checked one on Facebook marketplace and asked for it they forward me to the landlord number she lives in Spain and want to rent her appartement via Airbnb I asked for 1 year she said i can but first she asked for info en ID  and she send a link but she always send massages in new number and now on the third I am feeling suspicious what should I do I want to delete every info about me.

Bhumika_0-1692204191094.png

[Image edited to remove sensitive/personal information: Community Center Guidelines]

FB9FBC60-132D-48C4-82C7-CA01239B8E1C.jpeg

Bhumika_1-1692204294175.png

25404284-F9F0-4088-988B-5BA3A6C2201A.jpeg

0FAA98B8-6F87-44C1-9E99-E0AED7668B88.png

Hie Maria ….I’m glad I saw your post because I almost became victim of the same scam

in Ireland Limerick 😭 …Be careful out there ! 

Ive just done exactly this! 3 bed flat in Chester and the owner is in Italy.
Im worried if i meet the agent tomorrow I might be at risk 😞

1. Did you meet the agent at the end?
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Maria13720 It is very simple. Ask for the Airbnb link and rent on line through Airbnb or be aware it is a SCAm and someone is going to take your money . Airbnb NEVER tell the properties address before renting because others are probably staying there. Facebook and Market place are NOT Airbnb.   H