Possible scam

Answered!
Thomas2899
Level 2
Balloch, United Kingdom

Possible scam

Help needed please. I am a new host and my first ever guest messaged me on AIRBNB one month after his stay asking if he could  book for a few days at short notice. I agreed and he turned up at my house, saying  the booking was going through  and the payment would be there that day , needless to he has not paid and cannot be contacted. He has many great reviews on here and I was wondering if he is repeating this scam with others. I know  I should have waited until all was confirmed on the platform, I have made an error now and it is clearly my responsibility, but just looking to alert others if possible. Thanks

1 Best Answer
Nicole2756
Level 2
DeLand, FL

You must inform Airbnb, because later on I realised he had 2 profiles and having 2 profiles is not allowed on Airbnb. 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Nicole2756
Level 2
DeLand, FL

Hello, we had a BnB in Deland, Florida. I had the same thing happened to me. The guy booked regularly on Airbnb 2 nights. Everything was great and yes, I wrote a great review. 1 month later he booked with us again. I realised his credit card had an issue. As he was a nice guy and had great reviews I told him to go ahead and come. He promised me, that he will contact Airbnb and straitened it out .. and if there still would be a problem, that he would pay me cash… 

The next day he didn’t come down for breakfast … so around 9 am, I went to knock at his door. He was gone without paying. I informed Airbnb. 
So yes, never ever let somebody stay when there is an issue with credit cards …. Unfortunately it happened. Don’t forget, the majority of our guests 99.99% are just great…. but don’t let the bad people full you because you do not deserve it . 
Greetings Nicole 

Thanks for your reply  Nicole, I do agree with you that 99.9 percent have been amazing and sharing the hoose with them is an experience I would urge other people to do. That is the only problem I have had and I will put it down as a good lesson, never let people stay until the booking has been confirmed.

So when you are oot here in Scotland you are always welcome to visit us, might be a wee bit colder than Florida though.  Thanks again, Thomas.

Hey, thanks for the invitation to Scotland, which is sooo beautiful.. I don’t like the cold at all and also if it gets too cold, I get very, very bitchy 😁. So you don’t want to be  around me😁. I am originally from Switzerland but have lived and worked many, many years abroad in hot and tropical places…So, I have avoided the cold nearly all my life …

So enjoy your Airbnb. 
Same, welcome to Florida if ever 😁.

Nicole2756
Level 2
DeLand, FL

You must inform Airbnb, because later on I realised he had 2 profiles and having 2 profiles is not allowed on Airbnb. 

Thanks Nicole I will do that right away.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The way you warn other hosts is by leaving An honest review .

are you sure the payment hasn't gone through @Thomas2899 

Thomas2899
Level 2
Balloch, United Kingdom

I am positive it has not gone through, he left almost a week ago and still no payment and won,t answer my messages.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Thomas2899 Too late for you I am afraid but when we accept direct booking guests the nights are not reserved for them until the money hits our bank account. With today's banking system it usually takes less than 5 minutes to transfer money even at weekends.

Thanks for your reply, I will have to put it down as a swift lesson in hosting.

Diana1650
Level 2
New York, NY

How was he able to get access to the home without paying 

Diana B.

also a scam

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]**